News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC equipped Locomotives with drawbar

Started by racorsr, October 29, 2012, 11:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racorsr

Who makes locomotives with drawbar that can be connected to a tender that has a drawbar? or I have to purchase and install the drawbar (coupler) to an existing DCC equipped Bachmann N scale locomotive.

Desertdweller

racorsr,

I think the reason your question has gone unanswered today is because it is confusing.
I have two Bachmann steam locomotives and one Life-Like steam locomotive.  All of them have the drawbar attached to the tender.  I suspect that may be a standard way of building them.

The Bachmann locomotives I own (not DCC equipped) come from the factory with all electrical pickup confined to the locomotive.  The tender just goes along for the ride, so there is no electrical connection between the locomotive and the tender.  I added electrical pickup to my 4-8-4 tender to improve performance.  The tender is hard-wired to the locomotive with light, flexible wires soldered directly to the motor brush holders.
The drawbar is still used to make a mechanical connection.

The Life-Like locomotive uses a system I have seen used on HO steam locomotives.  The tender wheels are used for electrical pick up.  The drawbar is used to carry current to the locomotive.
This is done by using a metal drawbar with a metal whisker that rubs on a section of the drawbar pin on the locomotive that carries polarity opposite that of the locomotive frame.  This is a good way of doing it, as the spring tension on the whisker is not strong enough to interfere with the motion of the drawbar.  It would be a difficult system to build at home.

I know of no model locomotives that come with a drawbar that is attached to the locomotive rather than to the tender.

I hope that answers your question.  If not, try asking it another way.

Les