Previous topic - Next topic

jccool5757

Dose anyone  know the wire color code from the factory
of the curcit board in the back of the engine on a GS4 4-8-4
 L-        M-         LED -
R+        M+        LED +
Can some one help me with these wire color codes

Tom M.

What are you attempting to accomplish?  That may help us determine what you need to do and how to go about doing it.

Bachmann is notorious for not following the NRMA DCC wire color code system with their wiring harnesses.  However, their circuit boards are usually very well marked at the wire attachment points using coding similar to that in your e-mail.  Using a multi-meter and their circuit board markings, I havesuccessfully developed wiring diagrams to help me with my projects.  For example, adding a DCC decoder to a loco that is not DCC ready or adding an extra function only decoder to control additional lighting functions.

Regards,

Tom

richg

Quote from: Tom M. on October 02, 2012, 10:29:45 AM
What are you attempting to accomplish?  That may help us determine what you need to do and how to go about doing it.

Bachmann is notorious for not following the NRMA DCC wire color code system with their wiring harnesses.  However, their circuit boards are usually very well marked at the wire attachment points using coding similar to that in your e-mail.  Using a multi-meter and their circuit board markings, I havesuccessfully developed wiring diagrams to help me with my projects.  For example, adding a DCC decoder to a loco that is not DCC ready or adding an extra function only decoder to control additional lighting functions.

Regards,

Tom

I have experienced and done the same. The PC boards are clearly marked.
Never try to work at the component level without a multimeter.
The NMRA wiring standards are online and all decoders come with instructions.

Rich

richg

I will add, the two connectors for the Bachmann locos have metal tabs on the sides of the connectors for the meter probes.
Having a bunch of test leads with alligator clips on both ends is very helpful.

Rich

jccool5757

what i am trying to get at is for each pin on there board there is a wire
that gos to it  with a color code cover (Plastic)
for( example)   L- orange wire    M- black wire    LED- red wire
                       R+ gray wire       M+ red wire     LED +brown wire
 This board is at the rear of the GS4 4-8-4 engine that the tender plugs in to !!!
I got this wiring code for that board of another GS4 4-8-4 but  have not
tested it yet. Can some one tell me if this is the right code before i start testing

thanks jctrainguy