Durango and Silverton Loco 177 vs 179 specs

Started by laxrebel, September 19, 2012, 02:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laxrebel

Am looking for a "bumble bee" Durango and Silverton 4-6-0 and have found locos with different numbers. I read one post that it was reissued and upgraded with better gears, metal side rods, etc.  True? What is the difference between 177 and 179? I want the most recent.

Barry BBT

The 177 is a gen 5 drive,
178 is a 10th anniversary and
179 is the 6th gen with the metal gears. and pilot truck with an arm.

Barry
There are no dumb questions.

emjayw

I have the 177 engine and it runs fine, but has the plastic siderods etc.  I also have a 6th Gen Annie in black and it's much better detailed, but at a much steeper price.  The 179 "new" Annie should be a real looker with the bumble bee paint and all that extra detail.  BTW: The new front truck is a winner!  Mike in TX

Ted Yarbrough

#179? Bachmann catalog states #178 (as in NO NUMBER CHANGE).
Hope there really is a different road number!

Loco Bill Canelos

Both the catalog and the online catalog show the version 6 Bumble bee as cab #178.   The only #179 Bumble Bee I know of was in the Durango & Silverton Freight Set 90057.  When this set was first introduced some were issued with Locomotive #179 and a D&RGW tender rather than the D&S tender.  Bachmann offered all buyers the opportunity to swap the incorrect tender for a D&S tender.  Quite a few did not. That is why you will find some Bumblebee D&RGW locos with then #179 number. They were all Big Hauler locos with the version 5 chassis.

This error in packaging has caused a lot of confusion surrounding the BumbleBee Cab number situation.

It is a total shame that Bachmann has done little to change road  numbers on the products when they are rerun.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!