News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dc trains

Started by KDK, October 07, 2012, 08:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDK

I read somewhere that when running standard dc you can run two trains on the same track and that they would run at the same speed.  I tried this and the train with cars attached actually ran faster than the locomotive with no cars.  Thanks for yur help, I'm new to this hobby.

Desertdweller

What you read is theoretically true, but it doesn't work that way in reality.
Both locos would have to run at exactly the same speed at the same voltage.

I'm assuming here you are planning some type of display that will run continuously by itself.  If that is what you want, you would need to use DCC and program one loco so it runs exactly the same speed as the other.

Two trains can run at the same speed on a DC railroad, but it would require two operators, two powerpacks, and the track divided into electrical sections that can be independently controlled.

Continuous automatic operation is generally not used in this hobby, as one of the enjoyments of it is operating trains in a manner based on actual railroad operations.
If you just want to watch a train go around, you would probably be better off using only one train with a variety of cars to make it visually interesting.

Les

richg

Quote from: KDK on October 07, 2012, 08:35:45 PM
I read somewhere that when running standard dc you can run two trains on the same track and that they would run at the same speed.  I tried this and the train with cars attached actually ran faster than the locomotive with no cars.  Thanks for yur help, I'm new to this hobby.

I was trying to figure out what the actual issue is? So far, I do not see any problem.

Rich

NarrowMinded

Maybe someone was refering to running two dc trains on a layout set up with blocks

NM-Jeff

Joe323

If you run two trains around the same circle of track in the real world there will be a rear end. collision.

Doneldon

KDK-

One would ordinarily expect two locomotives on a DC track to run the same direction at the same speed. However, gearing, lubrication, loco
weight, the nature of the train, condition, age, wheel diameter and many other factors can -- and typically do -- throw them out of sync. DCC
allows some adjustment to bring locomotives to similar operation but even DCC won't make two locomotives identical. Run them on the same
track without human intervention long enough and they'll eventually collide.
                                                                                                                   -- D

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

If you can detect a train in a block, you can then stop the train in the block behind it. 

I believe you would need at least one more block than you have trains running,

and the trains would have to be shorter than the length of the shortest block. 

Correction, if each train can occupy (straddle) 2 blocks at the same time, and you need an open block ahead to proceed, then you would need 2T+1 blocks minimum.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.