News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sound

Started by nantro, October 11, 2012, 09:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nantro

My wife bought me a dcc loco bless her heart and i want to add sound to it but i have no clue what type of decoder to get ...i dont know how many pins i need or anything..i can send a pic of board....please help if you can

jonathan

What kind of Locomotive?  Diesel/Steam?  Some locomotives are easier than others to add sound.

Typically, you will need the sound decoder (Tsunami et al), a speaker small enough to fit, perhaps a baffle, and an 8-pin plug that need to be soldered to the decorder wires.

Won't know for certain without the type of locomotive you're dealing with.

Regards,

Jonathan

nantro

thank you jonathan....I guess that would have helped it is diesel...it looks like it has female hole for a plug in decoder

nantro

dont know if this helps but it looks like it is a FT-A

jonathan

Well...

Bachmann Diesels, like the F unit, have their decoders hard wired to the PCB located above the drive mechanism. 

To add sound, one would have to remove the electronics board (PCB), and wire the sound/movement decoder directly to the pickups, motor and lighting wires.  Also, there is no accommodation for a speaker mount, so a mount would have to be fashioned somewhere inside the limited space.  Not much dead space in those locomotives.

I have played with sound inside steam locomotive tenders.  Perhaps a diesel guy can recommend something. I do know a lot of tinkering and soldering will be required.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Quote from: nantro on October 11, 2012, 10:39:50 AM
dont know if this helps but it looks like it is a FT-A

What is the info on the box the loco came in

Look in the diagram page for your loco.

If you are going to do a lot of loco/modeling work, a Photo Bucket page would be very helpful. The site is free. Take pictures of your project, upload them to Photo Bucket and link the photo in a Bachmann message. Many here do that. A photo is worth a thousand words and eliminates a lot of guessing.

http://beta.photobucket.com/?home_ab=true

Most of the photos in messages are via Photo Bucket.

You can use You Tube for videos.

Anyone who uses a PC can easily learn how to do this.

Rich