News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

connecting ez crossing gate

Started by northcenter, February 22, 2012, 10:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northcenter

Being new to N scale I am a little confused
I would like to add the EZ crossing gate to my round track, so I believe that I must add an equal straight track on the opposite side of the circle. The EZ Crossing gate
•Bachmann Product Number: 44879
list the length at 4 1/2 inches but the straight track sections come in 5 Inch sections. What is the proper proceedure?
Can I add just one section or do I need straight track before and after the gate?

GoCanes

Can't remember if you need a couple straight sections before and after (be they regular 5" or short pieces), but assuming you do not, you would need a 4.5" straight on the opposite side (available in a Bachmann pack of different short sections).

If you do, you would need the 4.5" and the same straights you used before and after.

While you are at it, why not put a bunch of straights on both sides and make the layout bigger ? ;)

skipgear

I think the info you are finding is a typo. We have sold quite a few of those over the years and nobody has had issues with odd length track. I think we may have one at the shop, I will try to remember to check the length tomorrow when I am at work.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

James in FL

QuoteI would like to add the EZ crossing gate to my round track, so I believe that I must add an equal straight track on the opposite side of the circle. The EZ Crossing gate
•Bachmann Product Number: 44879
list the length at 4 1/2 inches but the straight track sections come in 5 Inch sections. What is the proper proceedure?
Can I add just one section or do I need straight track before and after the gate?

The crossing gate track is 4.5in. so yes you will need to add 4.5in somewhere else to even it out, doesn't necessarily have to be directly across, just that it is somewhere(opposite side).

Not sure there is a "proper procedure" but the path of least resistance is to purchase the assorted small straight sections pack, Bachmann item 44829, and use one piece of 4.5in.
OTOH you could cut a 5in section down to 4.5 and use that, but you will loose the plastic clips that hold the track rigid

It is not necessary to have straight track either before and/or after the crossing.

northcenter

rydermike

Or consider having a crossing on the other side , give the road a place to go!