How do you safely remove the domes from the Baldwin Modern 4-4-0 boiler, please?

Started by Searsport, October 19, 2012, 06:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom M.

Folks,

I finally found time to tear down the 4-4-0.  I can confirm that the domes are held in place by two screws from within the boiler.  There are two recent threads talking about Bachmann 10 wheelers.  One of them has some good discussion and photos about how to remove the boiler.  The method to remove the boiler from the 4-4-0 is the same.

A word of caution, when you first turn the loco over you will see two screws clearly visible below the cab.  These hold the cab to the boiler.  Only remove them if you want to remove he cab.  The two screws you need to free the boiler from the drive mechanism are very small and nearly totally obscured behind behind some piping.  Also, to free the front of the boiler, you need to remove the two diagonal pipes running from the smoke box to the front pilot beam.  Steam pipes from the boiler to the cylinder heads, sand pipes, and the reverse lever mechanism will also try to thwart your attempts toremove the boiler.  Trust me, I know.  This is the 4th one I've torn down to make modifications and lighting enhancements.  But, this is the first time I've ever needed to look for those dome screws.

Regards,

Tom

richg

This is all good to know. I hope you can post photos for others to see. A picture is usually worth a thousand words. Some people need visuals to understand a situation.

Rich

jonathan

beampaul7

Thanks, Tom.

Looking closely at Rich's photos of the 4-6-0 last week I noticed tiny phillips head screwheads in the pic of the inside of the boiler under the domes.  Hmm, might the fluted domes for the 4-4-0 fit the 4-6-0?  Tom?  Mr B?

Thanks all,

Paul G

Johnson Bar Jeff