News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cooling Soldering Irons

Started by Desertdweller, October 21, 2012, 01:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertdweller

I like to use pencil-type soldering irons when working on my model railroad.  But the things get in the way and take too long when they are cooling.  I've found a safe, quick way to get them to cool down so they can be safely handled or put away.

When you are done with your iron, unplug it and gently clamp the soldering tip in a bench vise.  The heavy jaws of the vise act as a wonderful heat sink, quickly drawing the heat out of the iron.  In addition, it keeps the hot iron safely out of the way.

Les

jward

or, you coould invest in a stand. they allow you to keep the iron hot while not in use. and they allow a safe place for it to cool down when you are down.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Desertdweller

I have a stand that holds the iron while I am working with it, and while it is getting hot.

But to keep the stand near the work after the work is done, takes up space and takes a long time to cool.  The vise holds the iron out of the way and cools it quickly,

Les

richg

Some years ago I bought the Weller WLC100 soldering station which eliminated and cooling down issues I had for many years. Plated tips eliminated any more filing of the tip.

My first solder device was a Weller gun in 1953.

Rich