News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SANTA FE 5014 2-10-4

Started by navy47, November 07, 2012, 09:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

navy47

Hi, I have a Bachann 2-10-4. It has a slot on the engine and tender for a cable but not shure. The tender looks like heres a small speacker in it. Should ther be a cable to hook them toghater and also what it for? If so where can I get one and ehat is it called?  Im VERY NEW to modle railroading and working on a ho layout.
Thanks For Any Help
Tom

navy47

Hi, My son bought it for me and he bought it new. The engine does run. Just need the jumper from the engine and tender. The engine has a nale plug ans the engine has a femail plug. Also the tender has the speacker. Not shure what I need as for the jumper . Is the jumper fo  sound?
Thanks Again
Tom

jonathan

Tom,

Forgive my confusion, but I'm not sure about your statement about the engine running.

As a general rule, a Bachmann steam locomotive will not run unless the two orange plugs, from the tender, are plugged into the receptacles in the back of the locomotive. 

What I refer to as the 'jumpers' are the little metal, fork shaped, pieces that plug into the DCC receptacle inside the tender.

If you remove the three screws under the tender, then lift the tender shell, you sould see a molded mount for a speaker (don't think these came with a speaker), a weight, then a PC board that has black wires.  Those black wires should have little orange plugs that plug into the locomotive (two plugs).

On the PC board is a receptacle that accepts a DCC decoder, or a DCC Sound/Movement decoder.  You may already have a decoder plugged into the receptacle.  I can't remember if 2-10-4's came with DCC or not.

Sound is only achieved by purchasing an aftermarket sound/movement decoder, like a Soundtraxx Tusnami. 

You said you were relatively new to model railroading.  Hopefully, this is not too much info, too fast.

Regards,

Jonathan

navy47

Hi, Thank you for your help.
Tom