News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track #6 Remote Switches

Started by Pacific Northern, November 05, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

EZ Track #6 switches.

For about a year and a half I have been using a few (four) of these switches manually, that is sliding the mechanism manually.

I decided to connect these switches and use the controllers packed with these switches. I was very disappointed to find that two of the four switches do not work, and that the Bachmann controllers are not that good as well. Two of the four controllers switches do not work. Thankfully I have a number of old Atlas push button controllers that work just fine.

Sure does not speak well for quality control for the EZ track switches.

Is there a replacement for the control unit that is wired into the #6 turnouts? I can always use them manually but I should have a choice.
Pacific Northern

Dbmtrackside

Not sure about getting replacement the control boxes, but I want to ask you a question.  Have you had any derailment problems with these #6 switches?
I am thinking of buying a few, but I have heard both praise and complaints about them.  One indivudual claimed he can't run a train over them w/o a freight car derailing....
D.B.M....
Nobody ever told you, how dark the sky could turn from blue
Nobody ever sold you, on more than one mistake
Nobody ever told you, how deep the water gets when you jump in !!!!

Jerrys HO

dbm

I run about 15 Bachmann turnout's ranging from #4,#5, #6 crossovers. Like any manufacturer some need a little tweeking to operate properly and some don't. It also could be the rolling stock giving some of the problems. Most but not all have been rolling stock problems.

Jerry

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Dbmtrackside on November 05, 2012, 04:55:07 PM
Not sure about getting replacement the control boxes, but I want to ask you a question.  Have you had any derailment problems with these #6 switches?
I am thinking of buying a few, but I have heard both praise and complaints about them.  One indivudual claimed he can't run a train over them w/o a freight car derailing....

I have learned that the EZ switches must be absolutely level, otherwise derailments. When I was having derailments the switches were placed on a 1 1/2 grade, leveled the switch and the track immediately before and after and the derailments stopped.

Also, as I mentioned the switches were being used manually, periodically I would manualy reset the switches as they seemed to loosen slightly and I would have derailments, if the switches were operated just before the train arrived and the Switches were reset fresh, no more derailments.

That is why I wanted to power these switches, to keep them as tight to the rails as I could.

Yes, points need filing on occasion, bit of burs, etc.. Filing really helped as well.
Pacific Northern

stephenphillip

I just purchased two #6 E-Z Command DCC Track Turnouts.  I have not been able to get either one of them to toggle after pressing the Program button for two seconds or more.

Jerrys HO

sp

Try explaining exactly how you are trying to program your turnout. It may help someone figure out what you may be doing wrong if you are. I included instructions on how to program with the Dynamis but I know you are using the Digitrax system. I don't know about that system but someone here may.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/EZ_Command_DCC_Turnout_Instructions.pdf

In the future try to start a new topic on your posts instead of highjacking another and you will get more answers. Most who have read the thread do not return that often.

Jerry

Jerrys HO

sorry for posting the new thread part as I see you have asked this question on three different posts.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,22350.0.html

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,23099.0.html

stephenphillip

I tried the Instructions that came with the Turnouts.
The Digitrax DCS-51 comes with two sets of outputs, one labeled Track A/B, the other Program A/B.
Digitrax instructions say to use the Program A/B for changing addresses on Locomotives, Switches and etc.
I turn on power to the Digitrax DCS-51, then push the button for Track Power, the Track Status LED lights, indicating indicating track power.  I then press and hold the Programming Button on the Turnout and wait for a double toggle as per the  Bachman Instructions.  Nothing happens.  I have tried both units, just is case one may be defective.

rbryce1

Quote from: stephenphillip on February 27, 2013, 08:38:49 PM
I just purchased two #6 E-Z Command DCC Track Turnouts.  I have not been able to get either one of them to toggle after pressing the Program button for two seconds or more.

Seems to me I read somewhere that the Bachmann turnouts are solonoid operated, and if you hold the button down for more than 1/2 to 1 second, you can burn out the solonoid.  Hope that didn't happen to you, providing it's actually true.

stephenphillip

The Instructions that came with the units say to hold the button for 2 seconds to enter Program Mode.

rbryce1

Quote from: stephenphillip on February 28, 2013, 07:29:46 PM
The Instructions that came with the units say to hold the button for 2 seconds to enter Program Mode.

Sorry,  I missed where you said these were DCC turnouts.  I don't know, as I have about 6 Bachmann DCC turnouts for my future layout, but they are all still in the box.  I was refering to the standard remote pushbutton solonoid turnouts.