News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MDC Roundhouse 57ft.Old Time Coaches

Started by Sunshine Express, August 07, 2007, 08:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

I have acquired two Roundhouse 57ft.coaches,and I would like to know their correct title.My measurement was taken by an HO Scale Rule.
They have the old time  upraised roof,and end platforms.
Are they Harriman Cars ?
Hope you can enlighten me.
Owen C Robinson

Woody Elmore

The MDC Harriman cars have what is called a turtle roof  and if I remember correctly , they measured out about 72 feet. If your roof has a raised section, called a clerestory, They are probably the MDC Old Timer coaches.

GN.2-6-8-0

Sure a shame theres not a way to post pictures on this site,sure would be helpful. ;D
Rocky Lives

Orsonroy

Quote from: Sunshine Express on August 07, 2007, 08:07:26 AM
I have acquired two Roundhouse 57ft.coaches,and I would like to know their correct title.My measurement was taken by an HO Scale Rule.
They have the old time  upraised roof,and end platforms.
Are they Harriman Cars ?
Hope you can enlighten me.

These are the MDC "OVERLAND" cars.

MDC made four lines of passenger cars: the 36' shorty "OverTON" cars, the 50' "OverLAND" cars (50' body, which is how passenger cars are measured. Apparently vestibules count, but platforms don't. Don't ask me why...), the 60'' "HARRIMAN" cars, and the 89' 'PULLMAN PALACE" cars.

Of the four lines, the Overlands are usually the most useful. They match thousands of cars built between the 1870s and 1890s, and can be used into the early 1950s. The PP cars are a bit long, and the Overton cars are a LOT short. The Harrimans sorta match SOME real Harriman cars, especially the baggage car.

Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

Sunshine Express

Thank you everyone who answered,I have learned something new today.Yes the cars are 50ft.as I measured them without the platforms. Whilst the roof on these cars goes right to the end of the platform,the clerestory section ends a bit shorter,unlike my old Overton Cars .
Owen C Robinson

TwinZephyr

The models in question would be what MDC called a "Pullman Car" (not to be confused w/ the Pullman Palace car).  It is the same as the Overland style except for the duckbill ends on the roof.  BTW, if you have the MDC Pullman or Overland coach, compare it to Mr. Pullman's "Pioneer" car.

Orsonroy

Quote from: TwinZephyr on August 07, 2007, 10:56:03 PM
The models in question would be what MDC called a "Pullman Car" (not to be confused w/ the Pullman Palace car).  It is the same as the Overland style except for the duckbill ends on the roof. 

I just picked up a wad of the 50 foot cars off Ebay, and the newer MDC releases were all called Overlands, no matter which roof the kit had in it.
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949