News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

FA2 Diesel on Grade

Started by highflyer, November 25, 2012, 05:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highflyer

What should I expect from Alco FA2 Locomotive on 2% grade with 22" radius curves,
how many cars without wheel slippage ?

Doneldon

hifly-

It mostly, but not completely, depends on the cars. Are they weighted to NMRA spec? Passenger or freight? Free
rolling wheels? Metal or plastic wheels? Are the curves actually on the grade or are they separate? Is your loco
functioning well? Does it have traction tires? Are the loco's weight and motor OEM or have you modified it? What
brand is the loco and how old is it?

You see, there aren't any easy questions to this hobby because there are so many potential sources of variance.
However, speaking generically and assuming no special factors, an average loco should be able to haul 5-9 freight
cars or 3-4 passenger cars up such a curving grade. Your experience might vary significantly, however, due to the
answers to the questions I posed above.
                                                               -- D

jward

it should easily do 10-15 cars, maybe more.add a b unit and you should be able to pull at least 25.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jettrainfan

I can do 19 atlas trainman hoppers on a 2 percent straight shot, the 2+ percent helix is a different story. I think I was able to do it, but a fair amount of slipping. Haven't ran it with anything too spectacular on the club layout lately. I like teaming my FA-2 up with my S4, wonderful sound combo of the classic Alco growl and a turbo whining. 30 cars no problem, usually keep it at 20 for the shows though :) 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

highflyer

Thanks for the quick replys, this is the information I was looking for. 

Merry Christmas