News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Converting GP40 Diesel to DCC

Started by RT_Coker, September 28, 2010, 12:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT_Coker

Converting GP40 Diesel to DCC with 6031 Digital PCB (purchased
from this Bachmann site). Is it possible to get some instructions from somewhere?
Thank You! Bob

ABC

In general isolate the motor, and be sure to test it first before you give it all the juice or you may get some magic smoke. You can use a multi-meter to help test connections.

NMWTRR

If this is your first DCC install, I recomend doing some research for the specific loco both type and brand.  There is a search function above that can help on this site (somebody pointed that out awhile back and it has proven useful to me to see what has been posted).

I also use google and yahoo searches. Bottom line for your first few conversions if you do some home work they will turn out nicely.  I think I am up to 15 conversions some very hard some very easy. I love doing old Athearn engines they require some work but are easy once you know what to do.

Kalmbach has one book that I found very useful and it helps understanding some of the concepts. Title is: The DCC guide.

When you run into a specific problem this site is very good with the experts who are more than willing to help out us rookies.

After modeling many years with DC, I was very nervous to covnert over to DCC. Now I see that it really adds a new dimension.

One thing I love to do now is have engines work together. Never could really do that before.

Best of luck and enjoy.

RT_Coker

First attempt at guessing connections didn't work.  Found "wiring instructions" by opening a GP40 with DCC.  Had motor wired in the wrong place.  Then had to switch motor connections to get correct direction control.  Good Bye!

RT_Coker

If you do this conversion, be careful to leave sufficient slack in the power connection wires at the trucks.  I did not. The unit quit working 2 yrs later and I had to add slack and re-solder the wires.

jward

i don't know if you realize it or not, but if you accidentally wire the motor connections the wrong way, you can compensate for that by changing the value in cv29. to do this, read the cv with your command station. if the value is even, make it odd or vice versa. what you've just done is change the normal direction of travel.

this is also good for locomotives like the rs3 or gp9 which often ran long hood front.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA