News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GS4 wheels came off!

Started by Omaha, November 26, 2012, 08:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omaha

I have a Bachmann GS4 that is about 20 years old. It has run very well until this last weekend. I put it on the track to run and it ran around the loop one time and then the rear two drivers on the right side fell off. Has anyone ever had this problem before?

Upon examination it looks like the drivers have a short metal axle with square end, that fits in the end of the plastic center section of the axle. Are these supposed to be a press fit or were they glued in some way? If I clean all of the grease off will CA glue work to attach the drivers to the axles?

Any observations or suggestions would be appreciated.

Stephen D. Richards

Without actually seeing the locmotive, it sounds as if the plastic axle center joiner has cracked.  This is a common event with this era of locomotive.  From my experience, CA will not work.  A small amount of epoxy of some sort may work if you can get a good grip without interfering with the wheel movement.  If you can find replacements for the plastic piece, that is the way to go.  They are press fitted and can be done by hand.  Hope that helps some.  Stephen

rogertra

If it's 20 year old Bachmann from 20 years ago, be grateful it lasted this long.

Bachmann of 20 years ago was very entry level equipment, to put it politely.

Omaha

Thank you for your responses.

I did contact Bachmann service department. Their suggestion was to send it in and they would replace it with a smaller steam loco since the only GS4s they had were the new versions. I offered to pay the difference to upgrade but they said that was not possible. The previous responder mentioned the quality of my 20+ year old loco. My question is, how likely would it be that a replacement loco would have the same problem or one of equal seriousness?

I have not decided wether to try and glue the axle or send it in to Bachmann to be replaced.

Stephen D. Richards

I had the same problem with a GS4.  Mine was very old as well (20+ years).  I had to purchase several "parts" locos and do the repairs myself.  It will be cheaper to purchase the current standard version or its equivelent.  You wil need to make sure the primary drive axle is on the same axle as yours and the frame is the same.  There are several different styles and types.  Stephen

rogertra

Buy ONLY Spectrum locomotives and you will not be disappointed.

Buy the Standard toy train set range and it's buyer beware.

electrical whiz kid

Roger is quite right.  Quality is the only way to go.  So far so good with my Bachmann menage...  I also have a small collection of brass, and have not been disappointed with either.  The brass obviously affords one to be extra cautious when installing decoders of any kind, as there is little if anything that is non-conductive.
I was modelling in HOn3 before I decided to go "simply basic" with HO.  Haw Haw!!  It is all fun though.  At present, I have just about finished the basework (bottom cabinets with adjustable shelving) for part of the new layout.  I plan to take some 37" resin underlayment paper and start drawing in full HO scale, the engine sericing facilities this evening.  On this layout, I made a committment to good quality equipment (hence, the Bachmann engines) and good construction practices.  This should keep me out of trouble...(I guess).
Rogertra;
I have decided to put a staging/storage area under a part of the layout; this will give me an excuse to run "motors" (HOt) to drag the cars two and from the innards to a small junction point "topside".  I allus liked motors.  Sort of comes with being a New Haven fan, I reckon.
Richie C.

Omaha

Thank you for your responses. Since Bachmann would not replace the GS4 with another one I decided to try and fix mine. I removed the damaged wheels and axles and cleaned them with mineral spirits to get the grease off. Then I cleaned them in hot soapy water. When they were dry I glued them with CA, being very careful that they were in gauge.

The axles were cracked lengthwise, but since the wheels had a metal ring that surrounded the end of the axles I figured that would supply support to the end of the plastic axle. I figured the CA would basically serve to keep the wheels from sliding off the ends of the axle.

I ran the locomotive for about an hour pulling its normal load of 2 express reefers and 7 Athearn passenger cars. It worked great so far! The RR club I belong to is setting up its modules at the mall for the next week. I will probably take the GS4 and its passenger train and give it a work out.