News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train set-up w/Lights, Smoke & Sound

Started by JoMc67, December 02, 2012, 03:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoMc67

Hello Bachmen,
New to the forum, and Trains in general.

I have a 'Hawthorne Xmas Village ( Thomas Kinkade ), and want an Old-Fashioned HO Steam-Powered Train 4-4-0/2-6-0 ( mid 1800's-early 1900's ) Set-Up that goes around the Xmas Tree ( or around a Pool Table from Spring to Fall ). I want the HO Train to have Lights, Smoke & Sound, and maybe DCC equipped, but not sure how that works yet.

On Flee-Bay, I found some Bachmann HO 'Hawthorne Village-Holiday' Train Sets ( 4-4-0 ), but they only have headlights in the Engine or lighted Cars while others ( generally 2-6-0/2-6-2 ), have both Lights & Smoke, but no Sound.  

Any other info would be appreciated on how to accomplish the above.
Thanx, Joe

richg

Quote from: JoMac67 on December 02, 2012, 03:14:58 AM
Hello Bachmen,
New to the forum, and Trains in general.

I have a 'Hawthorne Xmas Village ( Thomas Kinkade ), and want an Old-Fashioned HO Steam-Powered Train 4-4-0/2-6-0 ( mid 1800's-early 1900's ) Set-Up that goes around the Xmas Tree ( or around a Pool Table from Spring to Fall ). I want the HO Train to have Lights, Smoke & Sound, and maybe DCC equipped, but not sure how that works yet.

On Flee-Bay, I found some Bachmann HO 'Hawthorne Village-Holiday' Train Sets ( 4-4-0 ), but they only have headlights in the Engine or lighted Cars while others ( generally 2-6-0/2-6-2 ), have both Lights & Smoke, but no Sound.  

Any other info would be appreciated on how to accomplish the above.
Thanx, Joe

There are no Bachmann with sound and smoke, DC or DCC.
Check the Online Product Page.

With ebay, let the buyer beware.
I have bought from ebay quite a lot and I read ALL he specs and ask questions with the seller. If suspicious, I bail.

Rich

Doneldon

Jo Mac-

I urge you in the most strenuous terms NOT to run a locomotive with smoke near a pool table unless it is already wrecked. The smoke
is actually a mineral oil vapor which will condense and precipitate out over nearby surfaces. It will ruin your felt table top or bumpers. IMHO the
anemic smoke production isn't worth gumming up my scenery, track and rolling stock, including my locos, but I understand that
others like the effect or use it for their children or grandchildren. That's their perogative, of course, but getting oil on a pool table just isn't
worth it by any measure.

-- D

jward

if you want a 4-4-0 or 2-6-0 with sound they are available from bachmann, but you're not going to find them in a hawthorne villiage train set. look on this site under "sound value locomotive" under "steam locomotives" in the online catalog. or checque this site for good prices:

http://www.thefavoritespot.com/

from what i can see, hawthorne villiage sells primarily low end train sets in custom paint jobs, but subscription at an inflated price. for what you wind up spending on one of their sets, you can assemble your own with better locomotives and cars elsewhere.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Jo-

Let me second, third and fourth jward's suggestion that you purchase a set other than the subscription train sets. Those are marketed with a strong suggestion that you'll receive a rare, desirable collectable which will increase in value. Nothing could be further from the truth. The subscription equipment is of low quality and therefore not desirable. As the law of supply and demand dictates, if there's no demand there won't be much price. If you fall in love with the set and are willing to put up with likely operational and durability problems, go ahead and buy it. If it becomes a significant part of your holiday traditions, you'll be glad you have it. But don't count on it for anything beyond infrequent use and low resale value.

-- D