News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bull frog snot ??

Started by union pacific 844, January 03, 2013, 01:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Try doing a search of this forum on Bull Frog Snot or BFS.  Many posts have been written about this subject.

That being said, I have used it on older locomotives, like Mantua, Rivarrossi and Bowser.  Only one drive wheel received an application.  It does increase the pulling power.

On newer locomotives, Particularly my Spectrum models, I prefer to add a little weight.  Increased weight does improve tractive effort and still allows the wheels to slip if there is too much load behind the locomotive.  Plus, no electrical pick up is lost.

Economically, at $25-30 a bottle, the juice isn't worth the squeeze... to me, that is.  Lead is cheap and easy to work with.

I'm no expert, but have used both, and prefer the weight option.

Regards,

Jonathan

rbryce1

I really like it, and yes, it does work.  Some have said it is expensive, but you get about enough to do 100 locomotives.  Can't see them packaging it in smaller containers for that much less, as the cost of the containers would be high.  Just watch where you use it.  Don't cover all the drive wheels if they are your main electrical pickup.  I find it works best on the rear drivers if you don't put it on all of them.  Don't stop rotating the wheels until it is dry, or you will not have even distribution around the wheel.

This 4-4-0 could not pull one car up a grade, and after it pulled 22 without any problems.  That was with BFS on all the drivers.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bullfrog+snot&mid=40E3E7AC85C763877D4B40E3E7AC85C763877D4B&view=detail&FORM=VIRE2

More videos.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bullfrog+snot&qpvt=bullfrog+snot&FORM=VQFRML

After you use it and find it pulls more cars, don't go wild and start pulling 60 cars as you may overload the motor/gears in your locomotive.  Use it for better traction, but don't get stupid!