Help with a reversing layout

Started by sgray128, December 04, 2012, 11:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgray128

Sirs:
I'm new at this, and I need a little help getting my head wrapped around a reversing layout. I'm trying to design a layout that allows the train to reverse itself but (obviously) I get a short circut when I connect the track. I know that it can be done but the electrical part of it is escaping me.

ejseider

I have two reversing sections on my HO DC layout.  For each I've cut thru the rails on each end of the section then dabbed epoxy at the cut (but not on top of the rails, since that will cause a derailment)  to hold the rails in place.  This electrically insulates the section of track in between these cuts from the main loop.  Then I've wired a double throw double pole switch (available at my local hardware store) to the main loop.  When the engine enters the reversing section, I throw the DTDP switch to reverse the current on the main loop, then when the engine crosses the second insulated rail cut it is running in the correct direction on my main loop.

Doneldon

Quote from: Hunt on December 04, 2012, 02:09:00 PM
When using DC a DPDT (double pole, double throw) toggle switch is the inexpensive solution. But this requires you to manually change the position of the switch when needed.

sgray-

You can do this automatically on a DC layout if you use electronic
detectors connected to a relay which reverses the polarity of the
track "before" and "beyond" the reverse loop.

-- D

RAM

ejseider, I may be over looking something, but I think a better way would be to have a DPDT switch for the main and one for the reversing section, and forget about the reverse switch on the power pack. Since you said you had two reversing section, I can see how your system could work.  However if you plan to use the reversing section a lot I would go with an automatic system.