News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

General Questions

Started by HerrWebb, December 04, 2012, 03:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HerrWebb

I recently purchased the HO McKinley Explorer and HO Durango & Silverton train sets at a train show. Does the Durango & Silverton have DCC "on Board"? The box does not mention it but the catalogue indicates it is equipped with DCC. The McKinley express appears not to have DCC.

I then purchased 6 turnouts not compliant with DCC controlers. My Speed Controler is capable of powering only one accessary at a time.  I need an additional power source for my 6 turn outs? What do I do?  What do I need to power my turnouts? What are my options to oder?

I had planned on using blocking so I could run one train on an inner loop and one train on an outter loop without going to DCC.
Will blocking work? What do I need to order to block?

Do I need to go to the DCC system?Will I loose the cost of 6 turnoffs and cost of at least one train set if I go to DCC.? What do I need to buy if I switch to DCC system? What do I need to buy to go in this direction?

Bucksco

Unfortunately the "DCC on Board" logo that appeared in the catalog was a error. It should have been a "DCC Ready" logo. You can install a DCC decoder in the locomotive easily. It is equipped with an eight pin socket that will accomodate an eight pin DCC decoder.

BarneyJack

Hello HerrWebb,
I posted a similar response in another related topic. (Isolating tracks, http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,21671.0.html )
In order to do what you are requesting (without converting to DCC), I think you are going to need more switches, and break your two loops into a number of isolated blocks.  This is referred to as Cab Control.  For additional reading on this, try this link:
http://www.building-your-model-railroad.com/model-railroad-wiring.html

Do you want to be able to switch either train to either loop?  If you only have six switches, you will be limited to how many ways you can change loops, at least with two trains running simultaniously.  Ideally, for ease of operation, I would recommend 8 switches (two RH and two LH switches on opposite sides of your oval, connecting your concentric loops).  This would allow you to switch your various blocks between your DC contollers in a fashion that will prevent the shorting of the two power supplies (cabs), and would allow you to control (with some coordination  :))  two different trains either moving in the same or opposite directions back and forth between your two loops.

John
Home of the Petaluma, Santa Rosa & Napa Valley Railway