News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Train will not run

Started by Hobby Rookie, December 09, 2012, 08:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobby Rookie

I am having trouble getting my son's train to run.  Everything is plugged in and put together.  It was working before but now it is not.  I have tried with two different engines and neither will work.  Any help is appreciated as I know nothing about fixing this issue!

richg

Check the power pack. What kind are you using?

Rich

Doneldon

Rookie-

We need more information before we can help you. Manufacturer. Specific item and catalog number, if possible. New or used. Track being
used. Power pack manufacturer and model number. Exactly where the problem is occurriing. Is track clean? Will loco run if you apply electricity
directly to the wheels, not on the track? Does power pack operate correctly (do you get a spark if you briefly touch the wires together)? If
your trains have lights, do they work? Have you veriied that things are connected properly and that the electrical circuit you are using is live?
I know that some of those questions sound elementary, but sometimes a total failure is due to very simple things which seem too basic to check.

-- D

richg

Tomorrow, go to your local auto parts store. I have Auto Zone in my town. Get the below device. The one in the photo draws about 200 ma from a 9 volt battery. Plenty good for at least troubleshooting electrical from a power pack and how good the rails are connected. Use a car battery to see what kind of brightness at 12 vdc. Even a new 9 volt battery can give you a relative indication. I just tried it.

Rich

Hobby Rookie

To answer some questions.  I am using the bachmann power pack that came with the set.  The set is a Santa Fe Flyer.  Red light comes on the power pack but no lights come on the engine and it does have one.

richg

Quote from: Hobby Rookie on December 09, 2012, 08:38:56 PM
To answer some questions.  I am using the bachmann power pack that came with the set.  The set is a Santa Fe Flyer.  Red light comes on the power pack but no lights come on the engine and it does have one.

A few have had the plastic part inside the power pack break and the electrical wiper inside the pack does not move.
You need some way to determine if the power pack is putting out any voltage. As mentioned before, turn on the pack about half way and quickly short the leads while looking for a little spark.
Even a auto light bulb with a couple pieces of wire should show something.

Rich