News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 0-6-0 Saddle Tank squeaking

Started by LEGOman, December 20, 2012, 03:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LEGOman

I have a brand new Spectrum 0-6-0 Saddle Tank loco that squeaks when going forward only. It is OK in reverse. The squeak gets louder the faster it goes. I run it on a DC layout. What can I do to fix it?  ???

digitalgriffin

Stupid question,

Have you tried to clean and lube and oil it?

A drop of labelle clipper oil at each point the rod connects, and to the crosshead.

If that doesn't take care of the problem take the shell off.  There's screws for the couplers front and rear.  If you remove the screw, the shell comes off easy.  Carefully lift the rear of the shell first.   The front cow catch brace arms may cause it to stick.  You may have to seperate them from the boiler chest by pulling outward.

After you get the shell off, you'll see a helical gear attached to the motor.  Put a drop of greese on the gear.

Putting the shell back on is a bit tricker because the screws I've had in all 3 of mine were not quite long enough.  If you can't get the screw to catch the thread, twirl the plastic coupler covering with the tip of a #11 xacto blade.  That will create a small divit which will allow the screw to set further in

jonathan

LEGOman,

The 0-6-0T requires a good break-in before it starts to run smoothly.  Additionally, I put some tiny drops of conductalube (light oil) on the axles of my little tanker.

'Quieter in reverse' hints to me that the main gear MIGHT need a tiny drop of gear oil.  If you perform this step, it's easiest to remove the bottom cover plate to access the gear.  Again, everything is small in this loco, so be careful.  Go gently and slowly.  Things can fall out if you rush or bump the wheels.

Even though a Spectrum model, this loco is a bit noisier than my other locos.  I chalk it up to all the teeny tiny moving parts required to make it run.  The motor is a very small open frame motor, and the gearing is equally tiny.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

LEGO-

There is a far, far greater likelihood that you'll put too much lubricant on your loco than too little. And too much WILL
cause problms. I like to recommend that you take the bate tiniest drop you think could possibly be enough and then use
half of that.

-- D