News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Small area setup

Started by Dirtnapper, December 02, 2012, 09:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirtnapper

I am interested in setting up an N scale train on the fireplace mantel, I have 16" x 60" area, can I fit an "oval" in that area?  Thanks.

skipgear

That is pushing the limits. You will neet to do Kato, Tomix, or flex track. The smallest sectional track offered by Bachmann is 11 1/4" radius. Atlas offers a 9 3/4" radius. Kato offers a 6, 7, and 8" radius curves.

Your next problem is you will be very limited to what equipment you can run on the layout. I can confirm that the Bachmann 0-6-0, 44T, 70T, and H16-44 will handle 6" radius curves. The Kato NW2 will be fine down to 6". Beyond that, it will truely be trial and error. You will be limited to 40' rolling stock also.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Dirtnapper

Thanks for the info, I was able to quickly lay out a setup using Kato track with  AnyRail: 20170 (8 pcs) 2000 (8 pcs) 20172 (2 pcs), looks like it it is possible for that 16x60 space.  I have a  Backmann  Durango Silverton set.  Is it possible to interhange Kato with Backmann track pieces, I was thinking of just using the radius tracks(20170) if possible, other  than that I will have to buy all Kato track  Thanks.

railtwister

Hi Dirtnapper,

Kato track uses a different rail joiner design than Bachmann, so the two brands of track won't connect with each other properly. With such narrow curves, even if the loco will run by itself, you may have trouble with it trying to pull any cars, unless they are very short and have truck mounted couplers. Those small curves are really meant to be used only for trams, trolleys, and streetcars, not locos pulling freight cars or passenger cars.

Bill in FtL

Desertdweller

Dirt,

Maybe you could mount a couple small shelves, one on each end of the mantle, that would be wide enough to hold a turnback loop.  You could use shelf brackets to hold the shelves up.

Les

skipgear

The Durango and Silverton set comes with the 0-6-0 which will be fine on those radius. It should pull the 3 cars in the set just fine.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Dirtnapper

Thanks to all, looks like Kato track it will be.