News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Norfolk and Western Passenger Cars

Started by Striker1945, January 05, 2013, 02:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1945

Hi all!

I purchased the Cavalier set with N&W 4-8-4 Class J and 3 Passenger cars 2 years ago and have loved running it at Christmas every year. Now I am beginning to put together a layout with a dedicated loop for my N&W Class J. I would like to add at least two more passenger cars to the consist, but haven't found a place to acquire them. Ive seen MTH's set of (I think) 5 cars, but I am limited by money. Any suggestions?

-Striker

richg

I did some searches but the cars come as a set.
You might find some on ebay.
MTH and Con Cor made them also but no idea on how well the paint scheme would match.
MTH has a five car set.

Rich

Doneldon

Striker-

One of the less expensive brass manufacturers, maybe Soho, built some brass N&W passenger cars. They show up on eBay from
time to time. There are also some high-end brass cars but just one of those would cost more than a whole train from Con-Cor or
MTH. And there's always a question about paint matching.

-- D

john tricarico

rivarossi had a selection of there 1930 passenger car series in n&w,,
there was also a mid 1980s 5 car n&w set package for the bachmann N&W j locomotive

oldline1

The MTH sets and individual cars show up on ebay quite frequently. Some shops may also have them. They are the most accurate N&W Powhatan Arrow cars on the market besides brass imports.
Roger Huber

NWsteam

Striker,

The MTH 5 car set is very nice if you want to get the most bang for your buck.. Brass is out the window if money is tight. My advice... Be on the lookout for Rivarossi cars that where made a while ago. They came in white box's with Bachmann labels.

Here is an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rivarossi-Ho-Scale-Norfolk-Western-4-car-passenger-coach-set-interiors-/290839704783?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item43b765b4cf

They will need new couplers and metal wheelsets would be a nice touch too.

I picked up a six car set in mint condition for about $100. Whats great is that they match the Bachmann J very well. I'll post a picture when I have more time later. In my opinion the MTH cars are too purple but the "proper" N&W red color is an animal all it's own.

Good luck,
Brad

ripvanwnkl

IHC Hobby apparently has one type of N&W passenger car, a sleeper for @$18.98.   IHC cars are similar to Rivarossi cars.  They come with truck mounted horn-hook couplers.  I have used McHenry #52 knuckle couplers as a direct snap-in replacement.  I also replace the plastic wheels with 36" or 38" Intermountain wheelsets after clipping off the car's plastic brake shoes which will drag on the wheels if left. 
http://www.ihc-hobby.com/product/48NW
Dave
USAF (Retired)

wildpaws

Striker, I'm in the same searching mode/situation that you are. I found these a while back and would like to order some to "flesh out" my Cavalier set.
http://www.con-cor.com/HO72page1.html#Norfolk & Western
Price looks good, don't know how well the paint will match.
Clyde

Striker1945

I've found another Cavalier set online for only around 150$. Im tempted to just buy that considering I could always keep the second N&W Class J for parts or even sell it on ebay. Thanks for the other links though folks! I appreciate the assistance  ;D

-Striker

wildpaws

I didn't pay but $179.99 for the Cavalier set a year or so ago. A couple of the online hobby stores have prices near that, $150.00 is certainly a good price, I'm almost tempted to buy another set, but then the passenger car numbers would have to be changed. I'm more likely to go with the ConCor items.
Clyde

NWsteam

Striker,

If you go with the con-cor cars, you will be disappointed with the color. I will guarantee that! If you search long and hard, individual Bachmann cars do pop up for sale. Then you will have an exact color match.

-Brad