News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gordon Wheels Slipping

Started by Keusink, May 30, 2012, 06:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keusink

We run Gordon, Thomas and Percy on our regular set (that has snippets of Sodor here and there to satisfy my 10 year old Thomas fan). They were commercially converted to DCC.

Our problem is Gordon. On a 2% grade, he slips to a standstill with 5 cars. I opened him up, and it appears his boiler is already consumed by weight.

Don't want to try BFS, because he only has three pickup wheels as it is. I don't want to lose any electrical pickup because the set has two reversing modules with AR-1's.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Chris

shining time

are they freight cars and are they loaded, if they are keep them unloaded, if coaches try 3-4
i learned from experience when i had a 4%  S curve grade 
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

0-4-2_14xx

Add electrical pickup walthers offers some

Br 98.75

I have added tender pickups to henry's tender and its where my speaker is. i added BFS but then removerd it the wheels have not been dirty in about 6 months  and i pull about 14 lima/bachman/hornby cars with out a problem up a 1.5 % slope

GG1onFordsDTandI

Is he spinning out in the same spot? Is your grade smooth, and kink free, at the connections? Track and wheels clean, and free of excess oils & lube? Being long, Gordon wont go over dips in the rails connections well. Or, it might be time for a new set of traction tires. Or, at least a good cleaning of them. I have a non-Thomas engine I use rubber O-rings on. The replacement traction tires didn't work as well. The plumbing o-rings I found are just a tiny bit bigger outside diameter and grab well, even though the "footprint" is skinnier.