USRA 0-6-0 and Slope Tender, smoke doesn't work

Started by pfraize, December 15, 2012, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfraize

My son just bought the USRA 0-6-0 locomotive and the smoke doesn't seem to work... This is our first steam engine with this feature, so I'm not sure if it takes some time for it to get going. It's been running pretty steadily at about 1/2 speed for 20-30 minutes so far. I did just read a few online reviews that said it was hit or miss with this model. Any suggestions? Thanks!

jonathan

Depends on which version of 0-6-0 you have.

Some train set 0-6-0s don't have smoke units.  One can dump smoke oil down an empty stack, creating all kinds of problems.

Some 0-6-0s are prior to DCC.  You have to run those at full speed for the smoke unit to get hot enough to create smoke.

The newest 0-6-0s have DCC on board, and will say so on the box AND on the underframe of the tender and/or the locomotive.  These locos have an on/off switch for the smoke unit, located in the cab.  My guess these versions will smoke better than the old version.

Either way, most folks don't care for smoke--it makes an oily mess and doesn't look to realistic.

Regards,

Jonathan

pfraize

Success! Thanks, Jonathan. Yes, ours is pre-DCC, smoke oil down the stack. Was out for a few hours, came home and fired it up to full speed and it worked almost instantly. Not terribly realistic, true, but to a 9-year-old, delightful!
Cheers,
PF

Doneldon

PF-

Be sure to turn the smoke generator off as soon as the so-so smoke stops. Otherwise you'll burn out the heater. There is a switch
behind the smokebox door (the very front of the superstructure) on most locos.

The smoke effect is pretty anemic unless you run your locos at all ahead flank emergency, and even then it isn't much more than a
few wisps. I'm not so sure it's worth it for the mess it causes. The smoke is really vaporized mineral oil (hint: a small fraction of the
stuff sold as smoke fluid) which condenses almost as soon as it leaves the stack. This leaves an oily residue on everything. It
looks bad and attracts dust and crud. It's usually worst on the top of the loco but track and scenery can be damaged by it, too.

May I be the first to welcome you and your son to model railroading. It can easily become a life-long hobby (I've been doing it for nearly
60 years) and there's always something new. It's a hobby filled with nice people which is about half of what makes it worthwhile. And
it's great for kids and parents to do together. Don't miss out on the opportunity.

-- D