News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N&W 4-8-4 Class J help

Started by cwmeeks, December 17, 2012, 08:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwmeeks

I recently purchased a used 4-8-4 Bachmann #82103, it is a absolutely beautiful loco, however I am having a issue with the tender, the rear truck will not stay on the track. from what I can tell the link between the loco and tender is putting downward pressure on the front of the tender causing the rear to be lifted up. I could use any and all advice/assistance. I would like to keep it and not return it for a refund, as i run trains and not display trains.
Thank you in advance.
Chuck

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Have you tried loosening the screw holding the drawbar in place a little bit? I would try loosening roughly a quarter turn at a time until you have the rear tender truck riding firmly on the rails.

cwmeeks

Thank you for the advice, that was one of the things I tried, I decided to return it to the seller. It was my first experience with steam. I can get around the inside of diesels with out problems.
Thanks again.

chuck

Doneldon

cw-

Please don't give up on steam yet. I know it's discouraging when something doesn't work but this isn't a serious problem, and I think you'll be cutting yourself out of a lot of fun stuff in model railroading if you leave steam out of the equation so early in your experience with the hobby.

The linkage between a locomotive and its tender can be a bit problematic. Usually it's one of four easy-to-fix things. First, as 261 mentioned, the screw holding the draw bar may need to be loosened a quarter to a half turn counterclockwise. Second, the screws holding the trucks might be a little too tight which can make it seem like the drawbar is a problem. Loosen the screw a quarter turn at a time until they move freely. (A good idea is to have one truck which remains tight enough that it just rotates freely with the other truck a little looser than that so it also rocks a little. Third, you may need to add just a little bit of weight over the front truck. This goes inside the tender which should be easier to open than a diesel loco. Last, the wire connecting the loco and tender can be a little stiff. You can fix this by making a vertical loop (inverted U-shaped, not like a zero) so the wire flexes more like a hinge than on a horizontal plane with the loco and tender. You can check and/or fix all of these in less than five minutes, including opening the tender.

Please do yourself a favor and hang in there. And welcome to the hobby and this board.

-- D

cwmeeks

Given that the loco was used and from e bay, I decided to send it back . Last night I ordered a NEW 4-8-4! I am one of those old guys, whom if I have seen it work, can usually make it work again. Have gotten the darned train bug pretty bad. addictive hobby this.

Thanks

chuck