Please help a rooky about a engine

Started by fredinco, December 17, 2012, 05:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredinco

Ok so I was a sucker and bought the Star Wars HO train from Hawthorne Village collectables and have paid $75 a piece for a cheap train with expensive graphics. The train came with a Locomotive and engine I think it is called an A and B unit? But the B unit is not powered.  It is just heavy compared to other cas due to the frame I guess it is called.  The frame in this B unit measures 6 3/8 inches long (I'm told there are diffeent lengths).  Now the question. Is there a powered unit I can buy and put the "cover" on it from this not powered one.   I am told it is easy as 6 screws and done but  I do not know how to find one.

Jerrys HO

Fred

There is a powered B unit that is DCC. I do not know about in DC which is what your set is. Although most Bachmann decoders are dual decoders which will work.

http://www.thefavoritespot.com/p-3193-bachmann-ho-scale-train-diesel-rf-16-shark-b-unit-dcc-equipped-new-york-central-61903.aspx

The Star Wars set is a nice set from Hawthorn and is very collectible to Star War fans. My sister-in-law has one and is not into trains.
Your B unit is fine and should be fine. Weight is not always a bad thing.

Jerry

Apparently they do make in DC

http://www.thefavoritespot.com/p-3988-bachmann-ho-scale-train-two-f7-a-f7-b-locomotives-analog-great-northern.aspx

http://www.thefavoritespot.com/c-1407-bachmann.aspx?section=-1929-

Doneldon

Fred-

Many A-B sets today are sold with two powered units or with a light, plastic frame under the unpowered B unit. However, your train should operate just fine even with the heavy dummy (non-powered unit). A train like the Star Wars train is not ordinarily expected to climb grades or grow very long so the single powered locomotive should do the trick. You may experience pulling problems if you run your train on a regular layout which includes hills and sharp curves.

Jerry mentioned that your train has collector value. You should be aware that the collector value decreases with any evidence of use or wear.
Simply removing it from the package will knock 20-25% off of the value. Even a train kept in its original packaging and never handled will
lose value if the packaging is worn from handling or storage.

-- D

Stephen D. Richards

Fred,  I did the same thing but I didn't buy the units for collecting.  The cheapeast way I've found is to buy (at a discount) a DCC Bachmann unit that matched the trucks with yours and simple replaced the body shell on the DCC unit!  By the way, once you have switched to the DCC unit and a powered B unit you will be pleasantly surprised at how much improved the pulling power is.  You might want to also consider replacing the couplers as well, on all of the rolling stock.  I now have a twenty car train along with four powered F7 units.  I got a very unigue set that runs really well!  Hope that helps,  Stephen

fredinco

Thank you all. I did not buy the train to sit in boxes. My daughter loves Star Wars
And has Xmas tree with all SW decorations. The train runs under it. I don't
Know how many cars they will produce but the one engine will not pull enough soon.
Thank you for links as I am not train guy. Guess I'll be learning some. I will be making
The B car powered soon as I find right unit