News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

convective paint

Started by Royski, December 14, 2012, 01:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royski

I recently saw a K-Line model train setup in our local library. The track was 3 rail and painted black. I asked
the operator how is it possible for voltage to be delivered to the train engine if the rails are painted black? I was told the paint was convective.  I would also like to paint the middle rail of tracks that I have that date
back to the early fifties.  Can you tell me where I can buy the aforementioned paint? Thanks.

jward

that is conductive paint. convection does not apply to electricity.

you might look into a chemical blackener similar to what is used on the wheels of new locomotives. it is conductive, and wears away where the wheels roll, giving the effect of shiny wheel treads.

or you could do like i do and paint the sides of the rail with a brown sharpie.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Roy-

Floquil makes paint rollers specifically designed for the sides of rails.

-- D

phillyreading

Or you can buy the new RMT(Ready Made Trains by Aristocraft) Super Snap track that has the center rail darkened from the factory and probally would give better results on a long term basis. The track comes in two basic curve sizes; 031 and 072 along with switches in those sizes as well, straights are 5 or 10 inch long.

Lee F.

Doneldon

Roy-

In addition to the track recommended by Lee, there is also Gargraves O-scale track which has less obvious middle rails.

-- D

Stephen D. Richards

Check the local Automotive stores in your area.  If they don't have it, check the internet.  I jusst did and it is widley available, depending on your type of need.  Hope that helps,  Stephen

phillyreading

Quote from: Doneldon on December 17, 2012, 07:19:51 PM
Roy-

In addition to the track recommended by Lee, there is also Gargraves O-scale track which has less obvious middle rails.

-- D

Forgot to mention about Ross Custom switches as well, the track has better quality for switches then Gargraves. Gargraves has a wide variety of curve sizes; 032 to 120 or better in wide sizes.

Lee F.