News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Command Power

Started by drpalmateer, December 17, 2012, 07:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drpalmateer

We're having trouble with the track power from the EZ Command, and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and may be able to help us figure it out.  I have it connected to EZ Track with a few powered but non-DCC switches and a couple of DCC switches.  The locomotives were running fine around the outer loop.  I threw the switches to test the inner loop.  The loco ran up onto the switch and stopped.  The EZ Command light flashed.  I unplugged the EZ Command, reset the switches, but now the locomotives won't run with the EZ Command.  I tested the locos with a regular transformer and they are ok.  The EZ Command will still power the DCC swithces, but no power to the locos.  Is there a way for me to test this to see if it is repairable?  Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Jerrys HO

drp

You could have a number of things going on.
First did the loco derail when the EZ Command started flashing?
Did your loco have a chance to go through any other turnout before this happened or is it happening to all the turnouts or just this one?
Do you have a reversing loop in your layout?
I have installed a turnout and accidently pushed one rail into the frog and when the loco hit the frog it did the same thing.
Before you try the next step I would disconnect the inner loop just in case it is the problem. At least it may let you no the loco's are ok.
The only way I can suggest to try and reset your loco is to remove all loco's from the track and start the address programming right when the light starts blinking fast put the loco back on the track and press the #3 key. I don't have my manual in front of me but after that I think you hit the stop button.

Jerry

drpalmateer

Jerry,

Thanks for the response.  The loco did not derail.  It had gone through one other turnout successfully.  No reversing loop.  I'll try to reprogram the loco.  I guess I should be able to test the power of the EZ Command with a multimeter.

Jerrys HO

drp

I am guessing that if the EZ Command is still throwing your DCC turnouts that it is working fine as there is a decoder in the turnout that is accepting the signal.
I believe it's the same thing that happened to me and Hunt helped me through the process of resetting my engine.
Hope it works for you and you find the problem. Have you checked the rails on the turnout to see if they may be touching the frog?

Jerry

richg

All the digital multimeters I have used so far show about 14 VAC which for out use is sufficient.
Possibly the old analog multimeters could be different depending on the action of the  D'Arsonval meter movement. I remember a lot of variations in those meters many years ago.

Pick up a digital meter at Home Depot of Lowe's. No need for a expensive meter.  The meters come with instructions.
Even if the meter shows say 17 VAC, look at where the voltage drops to say 10 VAC or zero in this case.
Start right at the EZ Command output terminals.
Put one probe on one output terminal. Probe on the other terminal and move that probe in the direction of where the loco stops. You will eventually find where the voltage is missing.
You want to look for a trend. In this case, voltage or no voltage.
You can also start with both probes just before where the loco stops.
Many years ago I use to trouble shoot with a 12 volt light bulb watching the bub brightness.

Using a meter in model railroading.
http://www.trainelectronics.com/Meter_Workshop/index.htm

Rich

drpalmateer

An update on the problem -- I can use the EZ Command to control switches and I can reprogram the locos to different buttons, but after the initial movement that the loco makes after programming it won't move again.  I turn the dial, but get no response.

Jerrys HO

drp

I would give service a call. It sounds like your controller is bad.

Jerry