News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

locomotive address

Started by wagonwheel, December 24, 2012, 08:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wagonwheel

I recently purchased a used loco with an unknown address.  How do I discover what it is?  I'm using a Dynamis control system.

GN.2-6-8-0

Does not matter just do a complete reset and give her a new address
Rocky Lives

rogertra

Try entering the locomotive's road number or the default address "3".

If they don't work, follow GN,'s advice and readdress the locomotive.

Tip.  Always use the locomotive's road number, so much easier.  :)

Merry Christmas.

jward

some locomotives equipped came equipped with decoders which only supported a 2 digit address, notably atlas. the convention here was to use the last 2 digits of the locomotive for the address. the atlas locomotives came from the factory with those addresses preprogrammed into them instead of the default address of 03.

if your locomotive is an older atlas one, try tha last 2 digits of the number, and be aware you won't be able to adress to the full number unless you replace the decoder.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

wagonwheel

Thanks for the advice.  The lights do come on and there is the sound of an engine at idle but no response otherwise.  Maybe there is another problem.

electrical whiz kid

Hi;
If what you describe is accurate, I think the problem may be in the decoder itself.  If you can, just try a new decoder.
Rich C.

rbryce1

Can you turn the lights on and off?  Normally, even if the engine is not selected, the sound will come on as soon as the track is powered up, but the lights can't be controlled unless the engine is selected.  If the lights are controllable, the engine is selected and you don't have motor control or a motor.  If the lights just stay on, back to finding the problem.

Jerrys HO

rb has a good point and if you can control the lights check and see if the motor is turning you may have something in the drive at fault. Take the shell off and have a look.

Jerry