News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Brand new

Started by Louisianachewchew, December 25, 2012, 12:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louisianachewchew

Hi everyone,  I am thinking about getting into model railroading and really don't know where to start. I know I would like  a steam loco with sound. Do y'all have any suggestions for sets or whatever I need to read.  I'm not gonna be getting to much into detail at this point since we might be building a new home in the coming years.

Thanx

Merry Christmas

Jerrys HO

LCC

Since you stated you would like sound,I would suggest the Sound Commander.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3434

Since this is a DCC set I would read up on as much about DCC as possible, I am not on my PC right now but will post links later, Your local hobby shop and library is a good source also. Use the search button above and you will find a lot of useful info,

Jerry

hawaiiho

The  Sound Commander suggestion seems  like a  good one. The 2-8-0 is one of Bachmann's best steamers.
And, the Dynamis will do everything you would want until you get into deep programming and/or
controlling your trains using a computer. I have controlled as many six trains running at a time with my Dynamis. I will say that many at once takes a bit of concentration though. Also, price wise, it is a
good option as they can be found at very good prices on the Internet.

Will

Doneldon

LA Choo2-

Welcome to model railroading. It's tons of fun and there are some neat people to meet in the hobby. There are so many different aspects
of the hobby that there's always something new to learn or a different task to do. It's kept my interest for nearly 60 years. There is a
learning curve at the beginning; try not to let it discourage you.

By the way, be sure that you map out space for the layout, double the amount of space you want now, and then plan the new house around
it. I've found it's much easier to have train space from the beginning as opposed to trying to talk the senior partner into it.

-- D

Jerrys HO

LCC

As promised..
This one I liked because for a newbie you can relate to how they compare it to using a computer.
http://www.dccwiki.com/Introduction_to_DCC

http://www.nmra.org/beginner/consist.html

There's a lot more just did not want to overwhelm you.

Jerry

jward

if you are looking for a second locomotive to go along with the set, the alco 2-6-0 also has sound and is relatively inexpensive.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

If you follow hunt's advice, you will be doing the right thing.  This is one of the greatest hobbies man ever created.  Good luck, and welcome aboard.
Rich C.

Joe323

Most of us settle on one or more aspects of this multi faceted hobby.  I for example like building scenery and watching my trains run though them ocasionally switching and changing equiptment.  Others like fine tuning locomotives, still others enjoy realistic operations with schedules car cards etc.

I think once you start you'll find your niche.