News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question about 16946

Started by dipeedo, December 31, 2012, 11:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dipeedo

This was a Christmas present from my wonderful wife - the speeder is advertised as "self-propelled" and it's a Spectrum-series and it's got a motor in it according to the parts blow-up, but is it DC or DCC?  I don't see a PCB, so is it safe to run on my EZ command?

richg

Yes, you can run it. The EZ Command manual tells you how to do this. It will buzz though. Just don't leave it sitting still for very long. The motor runs cooler when the thing is moving.
If you get adventurous, you can add a decoder.
The below link tells you how this works.
http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/DCC-waveforms/DCC_waveforms.html

Rich

dipeedo

OK. I guess you're saying it's DC ? not DCC.  I will be adding sound PCB's to our other locomotives in the near future, but I'm not sure how to add a DCC PCB to something that's only about 1 inch by 1/2 inch.  Do they make a PCB that small ?

richg

Quote from: dipeedo on January 01, 2013, 10:40:30 AM
OK. I guess you're saying it's DC ? not DCC.  I will be adding sound PCB's to our other locomotives in the near future, but I'm not sure how to add a DCC PCB to something that's only about 1 inch by 1/2 inch.  Do they make a PCB that small ?

If you look at the Product page here you will see nothing about DCC. Any loco that is DCC capable or already with a decoder will show DCC.
Bachmann does sell a set with on board non decoder and on board sound. Read all the details. Some fail to read everything and buy the wrong thing. It is known to be a Male thing. lol

You will want a decoder, not a PCB. There are different size decoders and speakers made by different manufactures. Ask here first before buying anything will be a big help.

Below is how to do this. It is not plug and play.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/Speeder/TCS%20Decoder%20Install,%20Speeder.html

Rich

dipeedo

Rich,
My wife got it for me but isn't aware of the finer points of DCC, DDC-ready, etc.  but thanks for the link, that's just what i needed.  I'm sure there will be more questions to ask when I start to add sound to our loco's but right now we're just enjoying our hobby.