Bachmann DCC installed GP40...I want sound now too...any ideas folks?

Started by Burlington Route, December 31, 2012, 12:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlington Route

I did the search and found some old posts on adding sound to a bachmann DCC installed engine, but to me it was kind of unclear as to whether all were DCC already and just adding sound and that those sound cards were what was available back then{up to 2yr old posts}...what's out there now, what do you folks use and like, and how easy was it to install? I see now that ponying up the extra money for the DCC/sound engine would've been an easier choice...hind site is always 20/20 isn't it, but I got this #60303 onboard DCC GP40 for only $38 so adding sound now to this one will be a new learned lesson for me. I also have an On30 railbus that needs sound too so this needs to happen one engine or the other. 
As a side note my GP40 chassis is part of an On30 kitbash so I can add more room in the new body I'm going to make, to an extent, for a speaker and sound board. I can read a multi meter and solder so I think I can handle this task. Long ago, when I had G scale trains I made low voltage LED lighting and strobe boards for my trains...I don't have to "make" anything for a sound install, so I should be ok.

Doneldon

Burl-

You can either add a sound-only decoder or change to a whole new
decoder with both sound and motion. In either case, you'll have to
add a speaker, too. Check on the various decoder manufacturers'
websites to find what best satisfies your intention.

-- D

Burlington Route

Hey Don, my intent was to simply "add" sound to the existing DCC board rather than swap the whole thing out...but I could pending options.
I find it hard to believe that bachmann doesn't supply an 8 pin plug on the DCC equipted for ease of adding on a sound board...I think they're missing the boat here by not doing so, the addition of a sound board via them or they're supplier could be an easy revenue maker for those who wish to add on afterwards...look at Aristocraft{yeah, wrong scale - I know}...one can buy a silent diesel and add sound via a simple plug and play board and viola...sound....while bachmann caters to a few different scales they could have this added income too if they set it up right. Hope someone is listening....it would work well for all of us....

bapguy

I would go with a new sound decoder. I use the Tsunami board style with built in capacitors. The engine in the GP40 is  second generation(645). Soundtraxx part # 828051 fits the Athearn locos and has a 645 sound scheme. This usues 1.5 bulbs though. I think there is a soldering point on the board so you can use LEDs. If you don't care about the prime mover type, then Soundtraxx part # 828020 will work as well. This is for a first gen. (567) prime mover and is set up yo use LEDs. Use the biggest speaker and baffle you can. The impotant thing is to keep the decoder isolated from the frame. On a recent install in the new Bachmann GP7, I cut a piece of plasic 020" thick the size of the decoder to put on the frame. The decoder then goes on top of the plastic. I solder the wires to the decode. Hope this helps. Visit the Soundtraxx web site for a list of decoders and sound schemes.  Joe  

Burlington Route

Thanks for the input Joe. Oh, my GP40 runs LEDs....maybe its a new thing...don't know.

richg

I doubt you will have room for the original board and the Tsunami, cap and speaker. If you can, the Tsunami will need a 100 ohm resistor on the motor leads. Also, that way the sounds will not be quite correct as the sounds depend on the motor feedback and programming two decoders could be an issue.
I have used the 28mm round and the 16mm x 35mm oval in some diesels. I fit the oval in a 44 ton and 70 ton.
The decoders come with instructions. A 1k resistor is usually good for most LED;s if the decoder you get does not have the resistors.

Rich

Burlington Route

Just for reference sake, this is the 1st drawing of my On30 diesel project...a late 50s to early 60s GE export- class 91 engine....I'm looking to build something, timewise, that could've ran with the steamer I have. I'm thinking the new body will offer up enough room but I'd take your thoughts on that too-

The lightly red shaded area is the HO GP40 chassis.
Here's the link if you'd like to laugh, comment, critique, or simply follow along...
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,22312.0.html

Burlington Route

Did alot of research yesterday and am coming to the conclusion that an outrite swap of the dcc for a sound/dcc board is the only way to go...mostly due to the possible programming issues with 2 boards-oem dcc CVs and the intended sound board CVs. I did find "sound only" boards, but after a few..and there aren't many...web blogs that stated preprogramming before installation would be best...I'm headed in the full swap direction...probably a TSU-1000 diesel sound board with the optional ditch lights...that would be cool. Add that there are some boards out there that are 1st program dominant and non permanent, meaning if the main/1st sound program is steam and your wanting the diesel sound, every time you programm that engine and then take it off the track, it'll go back to it's dominant program which might not be the one you wanted.
It's killing me here...somewhere I have the MR article about the value sound bachmann and I now want to try to see if there's a shot of it's sound board in order to compare it to my "dcc only" board...just for laughs, but I can't find my dang mag...nope, it's not on my head with my glasses...good thing to know where my glasses are now!