News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Backmann needs a new power pack

Started by bigjoe11a, January 03, 2013, 11:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjoe11a

I wasn't thinking of a new power pack to run a DC or a DCC Trains. I was thinking of a power pack that just runs accessories. Street lights and so on. One that has terminals for 6v, 12v and 16v accessories.  with an on and off switch, As long as they didn't make one that costs more then $50.00 USD.

The idea is that so that we don't have to run or require a power pack to run the accessories for our trains. This is idea won't require resistors and any thing else. The bigger problem is that DCC power packs like the DCC EZ Command doesn't have an AC accessory outlet for our accessories. We have to buy an extra power pack any way. So does this make sense.

Joe

Doneldon

bj-

I don't believe there is a power source which can simultaneously produce multiple voltages so you can run accessories with different
requirements. If there is such a thing it would be hugely expensive. I suggest that you search your home for unused wall warts from old electronics and appliances, and use the ones you need for your lights and accessories. Be prepared for lots of wires under your layout if you use multiple voltages. I suggest that you use different colors for your different voltages to make it easier not to damage
your models.

-- D

utdave

Just last week i took a  battery and charger from a broken 18 volt cordless drill.   i needed 3 volts   4 .5 volts    i opened up the battery and soldered in severl places to get 3 volts and 2 places to get 4.5 volts on the tabs that connects the batteries togather.    when i start my system i use a multi power strip with surge protector and going to plug the charger there.  im going to add some swithes to the wires that i fed out of the power pack  and feed my LeD small xmas lights  that blink and scroll   on my buildings and my small xmas tree.    i was getting tired of buying batteries for those lights.    i keep those power packs and i have lots of them with voltage that i dont need.     now if the power goes out  i still have lights in my layout.  for a while.       the cost  was nothing  abount a 1 hr of time to do.

im going to work on my 50 bulb 110 volt  LED xmas lights next for buildings  i read somewhere there 3.3 volts each   im not sure   but they are connected in serial  so if i took 3 or 4 per building add  a wire to get to the next and go on and on then at the end return a wire back to complete the circuit.  the set cost after xmas $1.75.   i can even add colored ones here and there           has anyone done this     Dave

utdave

also if i need Ac off a power pack i use my old tycos    i have a 5 gallon bucket full of them   i also used my dc controlled side to dimm certian lights  if you can set it and not touch it you can get the voltage you need glue the throttle in one position  to desire voltage    i had to do that to some lamp post that got hot to fast and started to melt.   ebay has alot of used throttles for very cheap from tyco   the postage is more of the cost    Dave

jward

for powering accessories such as sognals and switch motors on a previous layout i used a power supply salvaged from an old stereo. if it has a center tap transformer, you have two of the voltages right there.

if not, you can take a transformer rated at about 17-18v with a bridge rectifier to convert the current to dc. use series resistors to divide the voltage, then tap off the appropriate voltage between resistors. if you are powering simple things like lights, the voltage doesn't have to be exact as long as the rating isn't exceeded. just be sure to use resistors with a high enough wattage to handle the expected current load from your accessories.

resistors in series drop voltage in proportion to their current times the resistor value.  ohm's law: voltage = current (amps) X resistance (ohms). expected power consumption in watts is calculated as follows: power (watts)= current squared X resistance.

that is just a quick and dirty summary to get you started. parts should be available at any radio shack. higher wattage resistors should be available in any auto parts store.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Quote from: utdave on January 04, 2013, 04:55:33 AM
also if i need Ac off a power pack i use my old tycos    i have a 5 gallon bucket full of them  Dave

Dave-

Where do those d**n things come from, anyway? I don't think I've ever purchased a power supply other than a Twinpower many
years ago and an MRC 1500 for my test track, but I'll bet I have at least a dozen power packs. I've given away at least that many.
Somehow, there seem to be more every time I look. Could this be one of those alien encounter things? Like maybe a close encounter
of the third-and-a-halfth kind?

-- D

Jerrys HO

Joe

Patience... you should be receiving the one I sent you by Saturday or Monday.

QuoteI was thinking of a power pack that just runs accessories. Street lights and so on. One that has terminals for 6v, 12v and 16v accessories.
One reason they probably do not have one is they realize most modeler's have plenty of old power packs and wall-warts handy. Although a nice gesture it just would not be needed with such a vast assortment of power supply's laying around.

Jerry

Ken G Price

Quote from: Doneldon on January 04, 2013, 03:43:49 PM
Quote from: utdave on January 04, 2013, 04:55:33 AM
also if i need Ac off a power pack i use my old tycos    i have a 5 gallon bucket full of them  Dave

Dave-

Where do those d**n things come from, anyway? I don't think I've ever purchased a power supply other than a Twinpower many
years ago and an MRC 1500 for my test track, but I'll bet I have at least a dozen power packs. I've given away at least that many.
Somehow, there seem to be more every time I look. Could this be one of those alien encounter things? Like maybe a close encounter
of the third-and-a-halfth kind?

-- D

The same here. I do know some DC packs with AC for accessories, were given to me by parents who had bought train sets for children who finally left the nest
Got a few cars and engines that way, but most were trashed beyond use. I still have 5 of them.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

bigjoe11a

Thanks guys, I just wanted some views and comments on this. I just wanted an idea that where I won't need resistors. Sense all my street lights have resistors any way. There's no sense in removing them. Can some one tell me what LED light can I use ti light up a building. I mean the inset of the building.

Thanks Again
Joe

electrical whiz kid

An electronics supply house or an electrical supply house would be a logical place to start.  There are multi-tap Xformers but make sure you have figured the wattage ratings as well as your voltage demands.  It would ruin your picnic if you overloaded it and it smoked uot on you.  Also, put fused protection on the primary (line) side of any transformer you use.
Rich C.

bigjoe11a