News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help - turns

Started by Joecox140, January 09, 2013, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joecox140

Hello im new to ho trains and its really annoying me how all my trains slow down when they go around turns . It doesnt matter what size loco i use and what speed im going but the always slow down . Does anyone know how to stop this happening ?

richg

How many cars?
Metal or plastic wheels?
Are the cars free rolling?
Radius of curves?
Picture of layout?
DC or DCC control?
Type of wiring?

I am sure others will have suggestions/questions about your layout.

Rich

Desertdweller

To a certain extent, ALL trains slow down when going around curves unless extra power is applied.  This includes full-sized trains as well as models.

There is more rolling resistance when going around a curve.

This is why full-sized trains, and most model trains, use a tapered wheel tread.  The outer diameter of the wheel is smaller than the inner diameter.  Also, there should be a curve in the tread where it transitions from the face to the flange.

This allows the wheel to ride against the rail on curves where the different wheel diameters produce a differential effect, minimizing the friction.  But added friction is always there.

You can compensate for that by opening the throttle a little in a curve.

If your train is slowing beyond that, you may not be getting good electrical contact in the curve.  When you clean your track, be sure to clean the inside surface if the rail head, not just the top, especially in curves.

Les

sd24b

you may also have a rail joiner problem.  phil

Doneldon

Joe-

This is normal for all trains although you would probably only notice with HO trains if the trains are fairly long. Often the slowing itself isn't toobvious but a change in the train's sound tips us off that the train has slowed. Many DCC decoders have a feature clled BEMF or Back ElectroMotive Force, which automatically compensates for this. However, trains operated on DC or DCC trains withour BEMF will show the slowing down on curves and grades.

-- D

Joecox140

Thanks fir the reply guys , just glad i haven't got something thats broken , thanks again.