News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Iron King Steam Engine Won't Run... Help.

Started by TrainNewb, January 06, 2013, 01:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainNewb

Hello fellow train enthusiasts, total train newb here and I have a problem and a question. I haven't had a train set since I was 9 years old and that was over 25 years ago. I bought my 6 year old son a Bachmann Iron King HO ez track set for Christmas. It ran great the first couple of days but then just stopped running. It maybe has about 5 hours of actual running time so far so its not even broke in yet. So here is the situation.

The power pack is functional, at first the headlight would come on but the train wouldn't go. I verified the tracks were all still fully connected,  and all wires were connected correctly. Now the train light won't even come on. I initially took the track apart and wiped down all the track with a clean dry cloth and re-connected, but still not functioning. I went to the hobby shop today and bought some Tidy Track cleaner and a track cleaner (eraser looking thing). I wiped down all the track pieces, and then used the track cleaner (eraser looking thing) and scrubbed the track as I was instructed. I then wiped down all the track with a clean cloth. I then used a q-tip with cleaning solution to clean the wheels of the steam engine. After cleaning everything I made sure all the track was fully connected again and all wires were connected correctly as well. Still no go. The light isn't functioning either. A co-worker who is big in the hobby suggested that I take the engine apart to see if the connectors were making contact on the wheels. I took the bottom plate off and inspected the copper connectors. They all were clean and appear to be making contact where needed. So I put the bottom plate back on. Still not functioning. This is where I stand now. A 6 year old that wants to play with his train that I can't get to run.

Is there anything you guys can suggest that I'm not doing?  Is this train a bad unit and is need of replacement?  Any help is appreciated. My 6 year old will thank you.

sd24b

Quote from: TrainNewb on January 06, 2013, 01:14:16 AM
Hello fellow train enthusiasts, total train newb here and I have a problem and a question. I haven't had a train set since I was 9 years old and that was over 25 years ago. I bought my 6 year old son a Bachmann Iron King HO ez track set for Christmas. It ran great the first couple of days but then just stopped running. It maybe has about 5 hours of actual running time so far so its not even broke in yet. So here is the situation.

The power pack is functional, at first the headlight would come on but the train wouldn't go. I verified the tracks were all still fully connected,  and all wires were connected correctly. Now the train light won't even come on. I initially took the track apart and wiped down all the track with a clean dry cloth and re-connected, but still not functioning. I went to the hobby shop today and bought some Tidy Track cleaner and a track cleaner (eraser looking thing). I wiped down all the track pieces, and then used the track cleaner (eraser looking thing) and scrubbed the track as I was instructed. I then wiped down all the track with a clean cloth. I then used a q-tip with cleaning solution to clean the wheels of the steam engine. After cleaning everything I made sure all the track was fully connected again and all wires were connected correctly as well. Still no go. The light isn't functioning either. A co-worker who is big in the hobby suggested that I take the engine apart to see if the connectors were making contact on the wheels. I took the bottom plate off and inspected the copper connectors. They all were clean and appear to be making contact where needed. So I put the bottom plate back on. Still not functioning. This is where I stand now. A 6 year old that wants to play with his train that I can't get to run.

Is there anything you guys can suggest that I'm not doing?  Is this train a bad unit and is need of replacement?  Any help is appreciated. My 6 year old will thank you.

if you have a volt/ohm meter check the terminals on the power pack.  Sounds more like the engine has died. Phil

jward

also, you may want to take the locomotive to your friend or a hobby shop and see if it will run there. if it does, replace the pack, if not let us know and we'll try something else.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

utdave

Are you putting your track on carpet     fibers are a promblem if this was done     the pick-ups behind the wheels get plugged with them  and even worse get tied up in all those gears and moving parts.  was thinking if this was the case.