News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

figure 8 cross overloads my controller

Started by BIG DAVE, January 07, 2013, 10:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG DAVE

when i get to installing the cross for my figure 8 bachmann track it overloads my controller. unplug it and i have a steady 17+volts. plug it in again and in get boverlooad. if i follow the track it appears to end up with changed polarity due to the pos side ending up mateing up with the negative rail.  any ideas what i should do.  thanks

jward

it sounds like you have a reversing section. you will need to gap both rails at each end of this section, and have some way of reversing polarity on any train in this section.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13988.msg112756.html#msg112756
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

timhar47

Yes - if you did one of those figure 8 plans, with the 2 or 4 switch tracks also added in, to make it actually an oval, with the 8 inside, you indeed have reversed polarity conditions, in other words, a direct short. Standard DC requires insulating the 'reverse section' connecting it to a reversing switch - like an Atlas Controller, and manually controlling the operation - note - after entering the reverse section, the 'outside' section main power will have to be reversed before the engine comes back into it. Better to get one of the many books on HO Wiring. If you have DCC, it gets even more sophisticated, but at least its automated in DCC after installing the DCC Reversing modules.

Doneldon

Dave-

You have a short circuit, not an overload. a reversing section module from any of
the DCC manufacturers will deal with it. I used a Bachmann module on my grandson's
layout and it works perfectly. And it's a piece of cake to install.

-- D

Joe Satnik

Dear Big Dave,

What is the part number of your crossing? 

If you don't have the packaging for the crossing, the number could be molded into the bottom...

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.