How to open bulb housing on floodlight car

Started by Eddy, January 03, 2013, 09:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

I have a floodlight car (16238).  Just tonight it caused a short-circuit on my track. I narrowed the problem to the light bulb housing.  I'm now trying to remove the lens from the housing.  Does anybody know if the lens is glued on or is simply held in by friction?

richg

I would suspect where the light fixture swivels.
Look carefully at the truck where it swivels under the frame. That could be another spot for a short. If this car has a horn hook coupler, I doubt the truck would swivel very much.
I am looking at the photo of this car and it looks like the truck under the light is the only one with metal wheels. Try to trace the electrical path. I doubt the bulb is shorted. Bulbs burn out. Not short.

Rich

sd24b

Quote from: Eddy on January 03, 2013, 09:55:04 PM
I have a floodlight car (16238).  Just tonight it caused a short-circuit on my track. I narrowed the problem to the light bulb housing.  I'm now trying to remove the lens from the housing.  Does anybody know if the lens is glued on or is simply held in by friction?
if it is like their flood lights the lens should pop out with a small flat blade screw driver.  phil

Eddy

Quote from: richg on January 03, 2013, 10:18:45 PM
I would suspect where the light fixture swivels.
Look carefully at the truck where it swivels under the frame. That could be another spot for a short. If this car has a horn hook coupler, I doubt the truck would swivel very much.
I am looking at the photo of this car and it looks like the truck under the light is the only one with metal wheels. Try to trace the electrical path. I doubt the bulb is shorted. Bulbs burn out. Not short.

Rich

I first thought that the issue would be the swivel mount of the housing holder, but if I remove the housing piece itself, the issue goes away.  I have the never version, with two sets of wheels.

Eddy

Well I've tried prying it off, with no luck.

Eddy

With some extensive prying, I was finally able to remove the lens, I removed the bulb and placed it back in and it works. Apparently the two bulb contacts were touching each other.