Bachmann Alco S4-3days New York to Brisbane Australia

Started by Sunshine Express, January 12, 2013, 04:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

I ordered an Alco S4 Diesel Switcher DCC and Sound on Monday 7th.January from Trainworld New York U S A ,and was running it on my layout in suburban Brisbane Queensland Australia on Thursday afternoon.Talk about Flash Gordon,and his "Trip to Mars",when I was a kid,he didn,t have D H L ?.
Also I ordered this after reading a  not so good report  on this forum about this model,but I have never had a Bachmann  diesel,that did not perform great,straight out of the box.
It is hauling 6 cars around my 10x5   doing it,s running in ,by both direction movement.
This simple little switcher,may be a bit utilitarian,but it is more reliable than the one it replaces, brand unspecified ,which cost nearly twice as much,but was a source of problems,too complicated.

I am still waiting for a DCC part from the UK being sent from their store in Poland,ordered in November ?
Owen C Robinson

Jerrys HO

Sunshine

QuoteAlso I ordered this after reading a  not so good report  on this forum about this model

I believe this engine's pro's out weigh the con's. There is always going to be someone who expects more than what is offered or may get that one in a thousand that has a problem.

I love mine so much I took it to one of my local hobby shop's that carries a lot of Athearn engines and he was so impressed that he has ordered quite a few of the S4's and other Bachmann engine's. I was in there the other day and he has sold a couple as he said some of his long time customers were also impressed.

Glad to hear you did not have to wait for an eternity for yours. Go DHL!

Jerry

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I have the ALCO S4 and I love the little diesel. I like steam engines more than diesels but the S4 by Bachmann is one I can easily run along side steam as well as more modern era diesels and I would get more engines of that size. On a DHL related note, I have ordered some trains from a place over in Liverpool, United Kingdom called Hattons Model Railways and have gone with the DHL shipping every time. Total time from Liverpool to my house in Minnesota, about 20 hours from departure from their warehouse to my front door unless there are weather related delays.