News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4 axle diesels

Started by jbrock27, January 11, 2013, 06:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

No apology needed Ray.  And your secret is safe with me  ;)

Jerry-I recently started to get Bachmann locos.  The new FT has good detail and runs well, a little on the noisy side.  Also kinda light.  I just got t2 Plus F7s for a project.  They are nice and heavy and their motors are pretty good sounding.
The Bachmann I have had the longest though, is my most disappointing loco.  It is a GP35 that I bought off of Ebay (yea I know, maybe that is the problem).  I have taken it apart about 5 times to get it quieter.  It is like my Isildur's Bane (shout out to Balrog21!).  I just got new coupler boxes for it so they can be the right height.  The ones that came with it were too low.   I don't know if how it runs is a problem with the one I got or if that is just how Plus' are ??
I will say that I do like the wheel sets on the Bachmanns I have.  Very good pickup!
Keep Calm and Carry On

utdave

im really impressed with the bachmanns power  and reliability   i like to use  f7'a, f7'b,f7'a  for some good loads  i can with ease  going up a 1.7% slope  with a little slowing  no traction lost  with 50 cars  which is abount 33 ft long train.   i would do more but the couplers start getting weak if i do more.    i own  f7's   different railroads and  the newer looking locomotives plus some steam.  my old tyco /bachmann  f7's shells. I gut out the pancakes and drive an do a little of a modifie with a newer bachmann frame ,chassie and motor and with the couplers mounted on the chassie not the shell .   the older sharks  i have to mount the front coupler on the shell with the same rivet supplied with a washer.      i got alot of Bachmanns  f7s an f7b dc and dcc for around 20 bucks or more from ebay.        i noticed that bachmann dont sell the f7's and went with the fa's. i hope i have enough to get what i need done   the newer ones are longer and are lighter but can get sound. but they do pull good and more detail.

so i say its up to the buyer  i would give them a try and run them to death and see what you think.  i did im impressed havent lost a motor yet in 3 years on my frist one"s   i use them more than my other brands.

Dave

jbrock27

I don't know what it is about this Plus GP35 I have.  The noise it makes is driving me nuts.  I know for sure, when the motor has increased RPM, it creates a vibration.  It is not the flywheels bc they spin true.

Dave-have you ever had any luck with working on a Bachmann motor?  The kind I am referring to has 2 flywheels and rubber boots at either end.  One boot is easy to slip off the motor housing, but won't come all the way off bc the flywheel is in the way and won't budge.  The other boot does not want to move at all.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

And Dave, I do believe that Bachmann, in Blue Boxes at least, sell F7s.  I have seen them when looking for FT stuff.
Keep Calm and Carry On

utdave

jbrock     yes blue box F7s  with    no fly wheels by bachmann.  never had to tear a motor apart yet, im sure i will someday. as for now  i do take them out if there seems to have a promblem  hook up to dc  with my harbor freight VOlt meter.  i do a amp check     which im working on one right now thats pulling .53 amps with fly wheels.  running real slow on dcc then on dc also     i took the brushes out added conduct a lube to the brush then place back in. the improvement was well noticed  but my amps is still to high   now i need to take it and spray it out with cleanner  i do think to much carbon build up on the armature causing a high resitance short  this motor fits one of those sound FA's         just need to find a good cleaner to clean it,  without taking it apart   youtube that i do believe if not hope someone will tell me works best on small locos motors.        some motors from different venders are open in the brush area and they are alot easer to clean  but also they seem to bring in more grit.   after cleaning i use a toothpick to add lube oil to shaft bearings never over due  i have in the past   takes very little.      give a good run on the bench.    ive use iso... alcohol before as a cleanning agent but you would have to poor it into the motor and dont want to do that.

i stay away from taking motors apart  unless when im scraping the copper out of them bigger ones (train budget money)
Dave

jbrock27

Yea, the non flywheel motor in those Bach Blue Boxes is ok, but in general I prefer motors with flywheels.  More torque I believe.
When you use a spray cleaner, do you use something like CRC electric cleaner?
Thanks for your help.
Keep Calm and Carry On