News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC-Ready Alco 2-6-0

Started by railtwister, January 12, 2013, 01:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railtwister

I'm wondering if anyone here has installed a DCC only (non-sound) decoder in their Bachmann HO scale Alco 2-6-0, and if so, which decoder you used? At first, I tried a Digitraxx DH163IP, but it interfered with the tender shell, so then I looked at a DH123P, but decided there was too much wire (maybe a DH123PS might work). Then I tried an NCE N14IP and it seemed to fit OK once I removed the 8-pin plug spacer. I believe Digitrax has a similar decoder with integrated pins like the NCE N14IP. I had originally purchased the N14IP to use on another loco but I haven't gotten around to doing that install yet, so before I go out and buy another one, I'm wondering if there's a better decoder for the 2-6-0 (maybe one with BEMF)?

Bill in FtL

richg

Works very well. Z N HO scale. Check the specs.
Most decoder companies spell out the specs on the decoder.
I have used this decoder on a HO Plymouth switcher and a two motor 44 ton. I used the one without the 8 pin plug.
What is a 8 pin plug spacer? Never heard of that in the 2-6-0.

http://www.dccinstalled.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=dz125ps

Rich

railtwister

Actually, after reading the various spec sheets, it looks like the best choice of decoders for this loco may be the Digitrax DN143IP, which looks to be almost identical in size to the NCE N14IP (although I think the dimensions listed by Digitrax for the DN143IP are incorrect), except that it comes with BEMF (which the NCE does not), and it also has a higher amperage rating at 1.25/2.0 amps. Without physically having one to measure, I can't be positive, however. Either the NCE N14IP or the DN143IP offers the advantage of the integrated plug connector, which eliminates having to find a place to stuff extra wires. The DN125PS has a short wired harness and 1.0/1.25 amp rating, also with BEMF, plus it's a bit cheaper, too.

Still, for the few dollars difference in cost, I think I prefer the integrated plug design (for this particular loco anyway).

Bill in FtL