News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Code size

Started by notats, January 10, 2013, 08:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notats

What code rail is the Bachmann EZ rail and can the roadbed be removed without damaging the rail  Thanks Tom Staton

jonathan

Tom,

EZ track is Code 100.

I have been able to remove roadbed, but it is not easy.  The roadbed is bonded to the ties.  Expect a 50% loss rate of track attempting this process. I have done it by slipping a small flathead screwdriver between the roadbed and ties, trying to break the bond and not damaging the ties.  Hardly worth the effort.  Better to get regular snap track, or flex track, to attach to the EZ track.  Some cork roadbed will get you close to the level of the EZ track.  A few shims (cardstock or the like) will finish the leveling.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I am confused.   If you plan on removing the track from the plastic roadbed,  then why not just purchase Atlas snap track to begin with?
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

jonathan

Bob,

I have done it when I needed a certain length of track, and all I had left in the box was some leftover EZ track from a train set.  It's not a regular practice.  Sometimes, it lets one continue with a project, without having to halt and wait for a trip to a hobby store.

Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn't.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Joe323

I keep a small amount of used Snap track that I picked up at a train show for such a purpose That way I can easily cut fitter pieces with my Xuron Rail nipper and shim as described above.

Doneldon

Quote from: Joe323 on January 10, 2013, 10:10:03 AM
I keep a small amount of used Snap track that I picked up at a train show for such a purpose That way I can easily cut fitter pieces with my Xuron Rail nipper and shim as described above.

Joe-

You're obviously an old salt in this hobby. Every old MR I know keeps everything, from stubby
pieces of rail to left over lumber from kits to at least some of the casting sprues from plastic kits.
My junk box is the most useful thing on my workbench.

-- D

Jerrys HO

D

QuoteEvery old MR I know keeps everything, from stubby
pieces of rail to left over lumber from kits to at least some of the casting sprues from plastic kits.
My junk box is the most useful thing on my workbench.

With you saying that I have to share what I stumbled on this New Years and my neighbors laughed.
I went to clean up my yard from all of the neighbors shooting fireworks and as I was picking them up, it hit me that  the stem of the bottle rockets (larger size rockets) was a nice piece of balsa wood. I tore the burnt packing off the top and saved all the sticks for making piers,trestles,abutments,etc...

Jerry

Doneldon

Quote from: Jerrys HO on January 10, 2013, 05:22:15 PM
I went to clean up my yard from all of the neighbors shooting fireworks and as I was picking them up, it hit me that  the stem of the bottle rockets (larger size rockets) was a nice piece of balsa wood. I tore the burnt packing off the top and saved all the sticks for making piers,trestles,abutments,etc...

Jerry-

Outstanding! This is the kind of resourcefulness that makes our hobby great.

-- D

electrical whiz kid

Why would you want to go through the trouble and hassle of stripping track?   I ran across a similar comment in one of Central Valley's catalogue, and was a bit surprised seeing that in there.  There are several codes of rail out there and tie systems as well, CV's system so far, is working out great.
Oh, Doneldon;
I learned to use both graphite and oil a long time ago with a product we use called "Penetrox", and "Never-Sieze", basically a mixture similar to what I did.  To me, it works pretty good-so far; all it is is graphite and some Labelle 107-I don't even know if it is still available or not, but dose wheels do keep right on a-spinnin'...  You are correct about the graphite nestling into the cone, too; it does.
Oh, I am still waiting for the taper to come and repair the ceiling in the train room.  The roof sprung a leak when the tree branch went through the roof.  When he gets done, it is forward and away on the layout.
Rich. C.