News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dc engine to fast !

Started by union pacific 844, January 13, 2013, 03:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 844

dc engine to fast ! :o  how do i slow it down to run with my slower engines  ??? ??? ???

Doneldon

844-

You can't run DC locomotives at different speeds or in different directions on the same section or block of track, other than built-in differences due to things like driver size, motor rpms, weight being pulled, etc. (Yes, you can make a locomotive run a different direction by physically reversing the polarity of the power to the motor, but do you really want to take your locomotive to the workbench for power supply surgery every time you want to change direction?) You cannot run a mainline train at high speed and a switcher at slow switching/coupling speed if both are on the same electrical track section when you are operating DC. That's why DCC was developed in the first place.

Today we focus a lot on lighting and sound effects in DCC but its raison d'etre was directly controlling the locomotive, not controlling
the track. Under DCC you can (theoretically) have dozens of locomotives on the same electically contiguous track section operating
at different speeds, with some going left to right and the others going right to left. But you cannot do that with DC.

-- D

union pacific 844

well i do run dcc  and dc for 4 of engines that need dcc instilled  but im run all dcc engine dc because my bachmann dcc controller burn up and i don't have $20 to replace i have no income right to spare 

Doneldon

844-

If you are running your DCC locos under DC you are limited exactly the
same as if your locos were DC only. Ergo, they all get the same power
and polarity unless you rewire your layout in blocks and use additional
power packs. I'm pretty sure you don't really want to do that.

-- D

union pacific 844

no i don't is set up for dcc but i went thew 4 bachmann dcc controllers some how they keep shorting out im not sure why tho

Jerrys HO

Wow 4 controller's!! You must be hooking something up wrong. I would suggest getting a DCC basics book or read on the internet about this stuff. There has been several good links given on this sight for all the DCC help you would need.

Jerry

Balrog21

wow, feel lucky you haven't burned up your loco's yet as well if you are running DCC loco's on DC power. I dont konw if you have a DC loco or not but if you do stop running it with the DCC one's..no matter how bad you want too. Especially if it's an old old DC loco.

union pacific 844

i have 4 dc locos i have never ran them on dcc and i never will run any dc engine on dcc  and i have 4 dcc locos witch i run on dcc and dc  right now all my locos are run on dc intill i get my dcc controller fix then once it fix im putting in one the shelf in till all my locos dcc