News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

S 4 DCC Ready

Started by Medford Trains, January 08, 2013, 03:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medford Trains

Recently bought a S4 that was marked as DCC Ready. What do I need to make it active and can I add sound?
New to this part of model railroading so any help to get me up to speed will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jim of Medford Trains

bapguy

Doo go with Soundtraxx. I have several of them and like them a lot. If you use the one shown,I don't think you need resisters for the LED's as this decoder might have them built in. Visit the soundtraxx web site and e mail customer service abt the need for resisters for using LED's. I get my decoders from Accu-Lites. They have good pricing on them. Joe

richg

I use the TSU-AT1000. It does not have resistors on it. It does have two connections for 1.5 volt bulbs but these connections will not work for LED's.
There are also two connections for 12 volt bulbs or use those two connections for LED's with  1 k resistor.
The decoderr with come with a 250ufd stay alive cap for sound.

The TSU-BW1000 is the one with LED resistors.

Rich

richg

Here is part of the diagram that comes with the decoder. Mine came with the capacitor soldered to the decoder with a red and black wire. I think the newer diagrams spell out a resistor for LED's.

Yours will have the appropiate sound checked off.

Rich

MPSOUTHERN

I decided I did not need all the extra sounds available with the tsunami,so I purchased a soundtraxx motor decoder for my dcc ready s4 and a sound value version(same road,different #).The two soundtraxx decoders mu perfectly and not only do I have sound but also enough tractive effort to handle a good cut of cars for my yard.But if you want or need the extra sounds,plus the extra labor of installing decoder and speakers,then the tsunami is a good choice.

Medford Trains

Thanks to all for your help!