Can I add a smoke unit to 2-8-0 Spectrum, and which type would be recommended?

Started by ganerd, December 09, 2012, 12:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ganerd

Have a 2-8-0 HO DCC Spectrum with great sound, but no smoke. Can I add a smoke unit and which type would be recommended?

Would Bachmann universal smoke unit PN-2911 work?

Thanks so much in advance!
Steve

richg

This is going to be quite a challenge. I just looked at the loco diagram. I would suggest taking pictures as you do this. Some others will be interested in this. I see the question at times here and a couple other forums.

Rich

rogertra

!)  There is little to no room for a smoke unit in a 2-8-0.

2)  Serious modellers avoid smoke units like the plague.  They do not look realistic by a long shot, they spit smoke juice all over your rails making a mess and fouling the track so your engines don't run properly.  They are, in effect, more of a pain than useful.

You may notice I'm not a fan of smoke units.

electrical whiz kid

The late John Allen used a variety of methods for somke; but none using real "smoke".  From what I know, he would mostly apply it to the photos he took.  In some instances, he would use tea stain to achieve somke.  However, he, as Rogertra put it; avoided smoke like the plague; even to require no smoking in the layout room.
Rich C.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

If you want smoke on the 2-8-0, then let me suggest a smoke-free solution. Take a cotton ball and pull it into a shape that looks like smoke flying out of the engines smoke stack and stick one end into the smoke stack with the other end bending back towards the cab and Bob's your uncle you have realistic looking steam engine smoke with out fitting a smoke unit.

ganerd

Good idea!
But, if I can do that with out it looking like cotton, I'll be amazed LOL
Only prob I see with it, is when it is standing still, it still looks like it should be moving LOL
Wish there was a cleaner solution to achieving the smoke effect.
Someone could make a small fortune on that idea.

richg

And don't forget all the steam we see coming out of a real steam loco . 
We often forget, we are boys playing with toys, an analogy of the real thing and all analogies eventually break down.

Rich

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ganerd

Doneldon

ga-

Well, E-cigs exist and they are, of course, fairly small. However, water and model railroading don't get along very well. There's the
electricity. There are steel components which rust. Water eats most scenic materials and encourages mildew and fungus in the rest. It will
leave spots on locomotives, not nice streaky stains like we see on real steamers. Distilled water would solve that issue but do you really
want to putz with dripping water into your expensive locos?

The cotton idea has merit as long as there aren't overhead clearance problems. It certainly works for static displays. A fine wire hidden
inside the cotton wad will allow the smoke/steam to trail off behind the stack. Use light sprays of different shades of gray (maybe even 50?)
to add depth and texture. As an alternative, you can use expanding foam insulation to make a tapered configuration which looks awfully
like smoke when shaded with white, grays and black. The bulbous shape of the expanding foam makes for a naturally contoured smoke
which is convincingly shaped.
                                               -- D

ganerd

Still like this idea  also. But limited imagination in visualizing it.
Do you have any links or photos where this is being done?
Steve

ganerd

Hey guys, the E-cigs worked just great!!
Have one single small fish tank air supply going to all my factories with the chimney outfitted with e-cigs. LOVE the effect.
You can also use these with flicker LEDs for a fire effect.