News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC and DCC compatable?

Started by Smokestack2882, January 25, 2013, 10:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokestack2882

I received a BACHMANN GE 70 TON DIESEL LOCO for Christmas.  It states on the box " Compatible with conventional DC- powered layouts"  and also, " DCC-EQUIPPED LOCOMOTIVE" . No where in the instructions does it state where, how or if any internal changes have to be made to run this as "Conventional DC" .  To avoid damage, I would like a professional opinion as to anyone who has encountered this situation.

jward

almost all decoders, including the one in your 70 tonner are dual mode. they will run on dc as well as dcc, unless programmed not to. that said, a decoder will need 5 or 6 volts applied to begin to move the locomotive. that is about half the available voltage on dc just to start the locomotive. i've found decoder equipped locomotives do not run well on dc.

on many of the newer bachmann locomotives, the decoder is wired to a plug which plugs into an 8 pin socket. if your locomotive is so equipped, there should be a dummy plug included in the box. unplug the decoder and insert the dummy plug into the socket and you will have full control on dc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

My 70 ton with on board DCC did not come with a DC adapter. Below is the photo of the PC board. There does not appear anyway to switch it over to only DC easily. At least I never tried as I removed the board for my own decoder and sound.

All the adverting I have seen mentions Bachmann DCC on board have dual mode decoders unless a previous owner has disabled the DC option.

Rich