News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

24 inch radius using ez-track

Started by trif, January 20, 2013, 12:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trif

Is there a combination of ez-track that I can use to form a 24 inch radius curve for the cormers of my layout.

jward

yes there is, but at present you can only do 180 degree turns not 90 degrees. use 5 26r and 4 22r curves, altenating them with a 26r on each end of the curve.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Pacific Northern

Quote from: jward on January 20, 2013, 01:03:18 PM
yes there is, but at present you can only do 180 degree turns not 90 degrees. use 5 26r and 4 22r curves, altenating them with a 26r on each end of the curve.

Could you not create a 90" turn be cutting the centre of the middle 26" EZ track?

Does not seem that difficult.
Pacific Northern

jward

yes you could, but wouldn't having to cut sections negate the advantage of using ez track in the first place? after all, if you are going to have to cut and fit sections you may as well go with flex track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Atlas makes 24"R Code 83 HO track sections, (#s 468 and 536, circle = 16 sections) though to me it seems impractical,

as there is not enough space between 22"R and 24"R concentric curves to avoid sideswipes.

Same thing if you are trying to put 24"R next to 26"R. 

Scroll down to HO:

http://nmra.org/standards/sandrp/s-8.html

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jward

that can be easily overcome through the insertion of 3/4" straights in the middle of the curve. 1/8" or 3/16" is not alot of extra clearance, and offsetting the curve by a 3/4" section in the center will move the track centers out 3/8"
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA