Russian Decapod 2-10-0 squealing and gear issues

Started by lvrr325, January 22, 2013, 10:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lvrr325

I picked up a 2-10-0 cheap at a show Sunday, like stupid cheap, because it had been damaged or dropped or something.  Appeared to be mostly cosmetic damage. 

Everything it's missing I can replace easy enough, if I don't bash it into something else entirely, but before I get into it I wanted to see how it ran.

Well, the wheels wouldn't move and the motor clearly was, so I presumed maybe a belt issue and opened it up for a look-see.  What I found is the belt is fine, but there is a pronounced squeal that comes and goes from the motor or one of the bearing areas for the upper shaft the belt drives.  At first it did it in both directions, then in only one, then it would come and go with a noticeable decrease in speed when it did.  Anyone else run into this, can I lubricate it to solve the problem?

As to the lack of wheel motion, it appears the drive gear is chewed up and no longer can contact the worm.

Bach-man, I see I can buy the entire set of drive wheels, but is it possible to buy only the geared axle?  Is that a question for the sales department?

the Bach-man

Dear LV,
You'll have to check with service to see what's available.
Thanks!
the Bach-man