News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound in light 2-10-2

Started by mdtell, August 19, 2007, 11:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdtell

I want to install an MRC DC sound decoder in my Spectrum 2-10-2.  Do I just unplug the DCC decoder in the tender and plug in the sound decoder in its place?  I operate on analog DC.

SteamGene

There are capacitors that need to be isolated.  Cut one leg of each with a pair of small wire dykes and push the leg aside.  Then install the decoder. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jake

Provided you have the MRC blackbox to control functions, then, yes. And as gene said you also need to cut the capacitors.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

r.cprmier

Gene;
I believe the term is "diags" corrupted to "dyke"; diags being diagonal cutters. 
Let us not forget  Robin Williams in "Good morning, Vietnam!"
and his report of "protective dikes"...
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Rich,
I've always called them dykes.  But then I went to a military prep school where we were always told what the proper dyke for formation was. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Yeah, Gene;
Calling 'em "dykes" is one thing, but spelling them diags is what it is.

A dyke for formation?  Ain't going anywhere  near that one.

Rich
Rich

SteamGene

Ah, Rich,
You made the same mistake some feminists made when VMI went co-ed and they heard about dyking at VMI. 
At VMI, my military prep school, and perhaps a few others, "dyke" is the uniform.  VMI carries it further and every First Classman has hirs dkye, the rat who helps the First classman prepare for dress parade - something of a chore for a sword bearer. 
BTW, back when I was in military school, when we heard "Dyke for reveille is overcoats" we knew it was cold on the Front Parapet!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Gene;
Interesting.  I grew up in Boston.  I'll leave the rest to you...

I am now actually not too far from Beacon, New York, home of USMA.  What a beautiful place!  I stood at the same place Eisenhower stood as he contemplated WWl and our now involvement in it.  Those links  of remaining chain are really something!  As you probably know, the "Rebels" stretched that chain across the Hudson at "West Point", a strategically valuable place, where they could control any ships up or down the Hudson.  Across the river the tracks run, where many a "J" series Hudson screamed pulling varnish at speed.

I am prepping the second Santa Fe for Tsunami, which are back-ordered.  Probably just as well; it will keep me out of the poor house!  Just for giggles, I hooked up the tender to the engine when I got through with the gearing (fixed it m'self...ain't I proud!!), and had the same malady as did you, so it is just as well I am changing it over. 
Have a great evening.

Rich
Rich

mdtell

Thanks, but my problem is that I don't find enough room in the tender to install an MRC dc sound decoder and speaker.  I unplugged and removed the DCC board that came with the engine but there is not enough room for both the new decoder and speaker.  Has anyone solved this problem, and how?  Thanks.

SteamGene

Use a drill and cut a hole in the bunker slope sheet.  Mount the speaker under the coal load with the wires going through the hole.  Works like they designed it for this configuration.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

mdtell

Thanks Gene, I'll try that.  Are there more than two capacitors and if so how do I identify the ones to isolate?

SteamGene

I haven't checked my most recent one, but the last one had four.  Cut them all. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Essentially the same tender size for 2-6-6-2.  What I did was-and I used the board-was cut a hole into the slope sheet, slid my Tsunami through it part way, installed the speaker in the coal pile, and that was that!  Everything worked like gangbusters.  From experience, I maintain that I get rid of that existing board aotogether, as it serves as an adapter, and I figure I am smart enough to get around that.  If I am using a soundtraxx tsunami, it is all stright connected to respective loads.  Soundtraxx offers a download for their manuals and proceedures.   I suggest you get it, and read.  It might put your mind at east to do it this way; and I have a feeling that, once you do, like me, you will do it this way whenever you can.

RIch
Rich

mdtell

Thanks guys.  Based on your advice I installed the module in my loco and it is working.  I have an issue with the whistle control using the hand held controller (the whistle works fine on the 'black box') and I have a call in to MRC.