Suggestions on adding/upgrading from the EZ Dcc system ?

Started by Mr. 100, February 01, 2013, 12:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. 100

My current layout (HO) is 8'x16'. I have EZ track (Nickel) with a single EZ DCC command station. Since I am new to DCC in the last 3 years, I have 4 DCC equipped locos with over a dozen analog. I am at the point of potentially adding another 4'x8' layout and a larger yard area; I see the need, soon, to boost my amps. I am looking for suggestions as to whether I should stick with the EZ DCC system and just get a booster or whether I should switch to Dynamis. I like my old locos and don't think that I'll convert them to DCC (some are older than me!). Suggestions please!

jward

if you're ready for dcc big time, go for the dynamis or one of the other systems on the market. amiong the advantages of a full featured dcc system is the ability to use the actual locomotive number as its address. you don't have to try to remember what address a particular locomotive is if its painted on the side. another is the ability to adjust speed and momentum the way you want, not some default factory setting. and a third is the ease of doing a factory default reset of the decoder if needed, quickly and easily.

with the ez command you can do none of that, and you can only have 10 seperate addresses. if sounds like you've alreay outgrown its capabilities, or are on the verge of needing something better. it's just a shame that there is no upgrade path fro ez command to dynamis.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

100-

Go for a different system. You can repower the EZ Command but you'll still have a
bare bones system which omits most of the advantages of DCC.

-- D