Just bought a UK Hornby set - power question

Started by dkhbrit, February 04, 2013, 08:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkhbrit

I have a HO Bachman set. I tried the UK engine and it runs if you give it a push but then stops. Do I need a different power supply?

Doneldon

dk-

Ordinarily we'd need a lot more information than what you've given us but I think your problem is dirty tracks, dirty pick-up wheels on your loco or bad connections between track sections. I suppose you could have more than one of those but let's start with dirty track. Carefully clean your rails with a nonabrasive product. Sometimes a brisk wipedown with alcohol or electric razor cleaner will do the trick.You can also get a track cleaning block at a hobby shop. Then use the same method to clean your locomotive's wheels. If you still have problems, check for operation at different points on your track. If it turns out that there are still problem areas after you've completed the cleaning, inspect those areas carefully to make sure they are clean. If they aren't, reclean; if they are, try pulling your rail joints apart and putting them back together a couple of times. If you still have trouble after that, come back here with more complete information about your layout, like the scale, loco type and manufacturer, track manufacturer and power supply manufacturer.

I think and hope that you just have a dirty track issue.

-- D

Anthony P2

I have a couple of hornby and bachmann UK locos and they work fine on my layout. As Doneldon said, i might be dirty track or the pickups aren't making contact with the wheels.

dkhbrit

Thanks guys, ill give the cleaning a try. My other locks work fine on the track so ill check the Hornby loco contacts.

bobwrgt

They will run on the same track and power supply as HO.
What type engine do you have?? Steam or Diesel ??
Sounds like the problem is in the engine picking up current.
If it is steam make sure all contacts are clean and good connection between engine and tender. The Hornby steam engines with tender drive need a good connection between engine and tender.

Bob

dkhbrit

Cleaning the track helped and the loco now moves along on its own but as soon as I attach a coach the loco spins its wheels.

It's an inter city 125 set from the UK. The power supply is a Bachman 46605A

Doneldon

dk-

This sounds like a weight problem -- either your loco is way under weight or your passenger car needs to go on a major league diet.
Another possibility is a too-steep grade but the spinning wheels still sound like you need more weight in your loco to make use of its
power. It's usually possible to cram some lead,solder or BBs embedded in caulk or glue or something. Just make sure that your added
weight doesn't interfere with the mechanism and try to keep it between the drive wheels. This applies to both steam and diesel.

-- D

bobwrgt

The engine should have rubber traction tires on the 2 drive wheels. These may be missing or dried out. Are they tight on the wheels. Are they soft enough to provide traction??
Check all the other non-power wheels to be sure they roll free with little resistance.
Adding weight to the engine might work but might also put more wear on the motor. Oil the wheels with a very small drop of oil on the axels.
New traction tires can be had look at Ebay UK.

Bob

Doneldon

Quote from: bobwrgt on February 06, 2013, 06:28:09 AM
Adding weight to the engine might work but might also put more wear on the motor. Oil the wheels with a very small drop of oil on the axels.

Bob-

Added weight won't appreciably increase wear on the drive system as long as the locomotive doesn't instantly stall. It will add a surprising amount of drawbar energy. It certainly won't hurt a drive train any more than friction tires.

I don't think the axle bearings need lubrication as there doesn't seem to be anything inhibiting their rotation. Just the opposite, if anything.

-- D